Join the ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity through World Media Awards for Journalism!
The One World Media Awards recognize the best media coverage of the global south; stories that breakthrough stereotypes, change the narrative, and connect people across cultures.
- A unique opportunity to be recognized by some of the industry’s top professionals as well as to gain a wider audience for your work
- The only Awards recognizing excellence in international journalism as well as filmmaking specifically from and about the global south
- In addition, a platform for important stories to share and celebrate
- Digital Media Award
- Environmental Impact Award
- Feature Documentary Award
- International Journalist of the Year Award
- News Award, New Voice Award
- Podcast & Radio Award
- Popular Features Award
- Print Award
- Refugee Reporting Award
- Short Film Award
- Special Award
- Student Award
- Television Documentary Award
- Women’s Solutions Reporting Award
Who can apply for One World Media Awards?
- All entries should focus on stories, topics, or issues in, about, or related to low as well as middle-income countries across the global south.
- This includes countries across Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia as well as the Post-Soviet States.
- Jurors will be looking for media that cover underreported stories or new angles as well as approaches to more familiar stories.
With the exception of the Special Award, all categories are open to entrants anywhere in the world, as long as the work meets one of the following criteria:
- has been broadcast, screened, or published in the UK
- or the entry has been broadcast or published internationally and is available for an English-speaking audience
- Also, if the entry has been screened at an international film festival
Entries will be evaluated based on the overall merit of the piece, with an emphasis on:
Relevance, originality, and creativity of the coverage
- Highlights underreported stories or issues
- Explores new angles on familiar topics
- Also, challenges misperceptions and/or stereotypes of the global south
Substance and accuracy of the coverage
- Depth of research as well as analysis
- Accurate as well as balanced reporting that highlights the voices and perspectives of people in and from the global south
Impact and reach of the coverage
- Demonstrates the actual impact or potential for the coverage to catalyze change
- It May have prompted additional media coverage or policy change
- Moreover, the total number of audience will have consideration
- Entries need to demonstrate a commitment to diversity and representation in areas
Quality of the coverage
- Well-crafted, structured, and engaging
- High production as well as editorial values
- Also, Distils and presents complex topics to the target audience in an understandable as well as accessible way
- Open for entries: 6 January 2022
- Close for entries: 10 February 2022
- Longlist announced: April 2022
- Nominees announced: May 2022
- Awards day: 16 June 2022