The Seán O’Faoláin Short Story Competition is an annual short story competition open to writers from around the world.
The competition is for original, unpublished, and unbroadcast short stories in the English language of 3,000 words or fewer.
The story can be on any subject, in any style.
How to Submit
Send to: [email protected]
Subject: “SOF entry”
- The story for submission (Word document – we cannot accept PDFs).
- A cover letter (separate word document attached to the same email). The cover letter should include:
- Your name
- Story title
- Email address
- Phone number
- Postal address
- Image of PayPal receipt or the Paypal transaction ID number
- How did you hear about the competition
- A brief bio (optional)
- Please ensure that this information is in the attachment and not in the body of the email.
- Finally, payment of the €18 entry fee can be made through PayPal
- Submission manuscript (typed). Do not write your name or any other personal details on the manuscript.
- Cover letter – see details above. The cover letter should be on a separate page to ensure anonymity.
- Payment: If you have paid through Paypal, just quote the Paypal transaction ID. Alternatively, we accept cheques and bank drafts (see details below)
- Send to:
The Seán O’Faoláin International Short Story Competition,
The Munster Literature Centre, Frank O’Connor House,
84 Douglas Street,
Cork, T12 X802
- Please do not send entries by registration post.
- If you would like to send you confirmation of your postal entry, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard or envelope
- The competition is open to original, unpublished, and unbroadcast short stories
- It must be written in the English language of 3,000 words or fewer.
- Also, the story can be on any subject, in any style, by a writer of any nationality, living anywhere in the world.
- Translated work is not in the scope of this competition.
- Entrants may enter more than one manuscript.
- In addition, once entered, no alterations can be made to the submission.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted
- Moreover, you must notify the host immediately should your work be accepted elsewhere.