The Scriptwriting Award aims to motivate non-American novice writers under the age of 30 with their completed half-hour to one-hour English-language television drama script.
- The award winner receives $2,500.
- the recognition and encouragement that might lead to a successful career in television scriptwriting
- The winner will be flown to New York City to be presented with the Sir Peter Ustinov Award
- They will also be invited to take part in the red carpet festivities at the 50th International Emmy Awards
In the event that the winning script has multiple writers, only one writer must be designated to receive the award, prize money, and trip to New York
- a non-U.S. citizen. However, non-U.S. citizens currently studying in the U.S. are eligible.
- The Applicant must not have reached their 30th birthday as of December 31, 2022.
- must be a minimum of 18 years of age upon completion of the entry form.
- Also, the Applicant cannot be an employee or a relative of a staff member of the International Academy of
Television Arts & Sciences
- Applicants must not have had a script or contributed any written words, to any fiction material
originally produced for and aired on television or distributed over-the-top (digitally) prior to the date of
- Only one entry per scriptwriter will be accepted.
- If part of a writing team, each scriptwriter must meet all of the eligibility requirements without exception.
- Previous winners of this award or any award/fellowship given by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation are not eligible.
Moreover, there is no entry fee to submit a script to the competition
Script Submission Requirements
- The Applicant must deliver an original completed DRAMA script for television (Drama Series: A
dramatic production in which the theme, storyline, and main characters are presented under the same
- The script must be submitted in English.
- Also, the script must be a minimum of a half-hour and a maximum of one-hour commercial length.
- The script should be a stand-alone or pilot script, not a random episode that is part of a series.
- Entries must be the original work of the participant.
- Material that has previously been sold or is currently under option may not be submitted.
- Signed copy of the Entry Form
- One page resume or biography of the writer(s)
- Official proof of age (including but not limited to Passport, Driver’s License, Photo ID)
- Script (including a cover page listing the title of the script, the author’s name, address, telephone number, as well as email)
- A version of your script including a cover page listing only the title of the script and the author’s initials
- A summary of the script, totaling no more than 250 words, but no less than 100 words
- Competition Opens: April 20, 2022
- Competition Closes: June 29, 2022, at 12 noon (ET)
- Winner Announcement: September/October 2022