Applications are open for TWAS Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Prize. This annual prize, named after the TWAS Fellow Samira Omar, will recognize scientists from Least Developed Countries (LDCs). Additionally, Our planet, and therefore our existence, face several challenges: world population, food security, climate change, biodiversity loss, water scarcity/poor sanitation, energy resources.
Moreover, Sustainability is at the forefront of many discussions at the international scene. Further, The 17 Sustainable Development Goals released by the UN in 2015 as part of the 2030 Agenda underlie that we must become aware of the fact that we are compromising the future of generations to come. Also, The SDGs may well represent the best attempt at addressing sustainability issues on a global scale.
- The 2019 TWAS prize will be to a women scientist national of an LDC, It carries a cash award of USD4,000 generously provided by Professor Omar.
Open for women scientist national of an LDC, living and working in an LDC during the last two years immediately prior to her nomination, based on scientific achievements in any of the thematic areas below:
- Clean and renewable energy
- Green chemistry
- Sustainable agriculture and agrobiodiversity
- Plastic: degradation, pollution, and microplastics
- Water purification and sanitation
- Climate change: environmental effects, methane contribution, also, carbon capture
- Transportation technologies: efficiency for smart cities
- Waste management
- Biodiversity: the sixth mass extinction, ecosystem services, habitat recovery, and restoration
- Ecological economics and planetary health
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self-nominations are not accepted) and general information on the nominee;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process her personal data for the purposes of her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. Further, This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the online platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements);
- Further, Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context.
- Also, a clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- PhD: information on the subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Further, brief information on awards and honors received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee’s h-index in Google Scholar and the associated number of citations.