Applications are now open for the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2020. UNESCO invites the governments of Member States, in consultation with their National Commissions, as well as international and regional professional non-governmental organizations, active in the field of press freedom, to nominate candidates for next year’s UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize.
This Prize was established by UNESCO’s Executive Board, in 1997, in honor of Guillermo Cano, a Colombian journalist who died in the exercise of his profession. Its purpose is to reward each year a person, organization or institution that has made a notable contribution to the defense and/or promotion of press freedom anywhere in the world, especially if risks have been involved.
- The Prize shall be entitled “UNESCO/Guillermo Cano world press freedom prize”.
- The Prize shall be funded by voluntary contributions from States, International agencies and organizations, as well as other entities and shall consist of recurrent payments to be deposited in a special account opened for that purpose in accordance with the Financial Regulations of UNESCO. The value of the Prize shall be of a minimum of 25,000 USD and determined by the Director-General in consultation with the donors on the basis of the contributions received, the interest on the sum deposited in the special account in accordance with the Financial Regulations of UNESCO, and the charges to be borne by the account for the cost of administering the prize
- Similarly, the full staff support and operating/management costs of the prize, including all costs relating to the award ceremony and public information activities, shall be fully covered by the Cano Foundation and other donors.
Eligibility for the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2020
- Candidates shall have made a significant contribution to press freedom anywhere in the world representing all types of media including digital media.
- Prizes may be conferred upon individuals, institutions, other entities or non-governmental organizations.
How to apply for the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2020?
Nominations for the Prize should be submitted by filling out the form in English or French and sending it before 15 February 2020