Apply for the Wellcome Early-Career Awards 2022!
This scheme provides funding for early-career researchers from any discipline who are ready to develop their research identity. Through innovative projects, they will deliver shifts in understanding that could improve human life, health, as well as wellbeing.
Eligibility for Early-Career Awards 2022
You can apply to this scheme if you are an early-career researcher and you are ready to design, plan and deliver your innovative research project that aims to:
- advance understanding in your field and\or,
- develop methodologies, conceptual frameworks, tools, or techniques that could benefit health-related research.
- Your research can be in any discipline as long as it has the potential to improve human life, health, and wellbeing, as well as aligns with the funding remit.
- completed a Ph.D. or an equivalent higher research degree. At the point of application, you must have passed your viva examination or at least four years’ equivalent research experience
- You should be able to demonstrate:
- a good understanding of research methodology
- evidence of project delivery and analysis.
- If you are a health professional and you want to continue with clinical activities, you must be registered with, and be licensed by, the relevant professional regulator in the country you intend to work in.
- You must have sponsorship from an eligible host organization in one of the following:
- Republic of Ireland
- a low- or middle-income country (apart from India and mainland China)
- You can apply if you’ve spent time away from research
Who can’t apply
- you have an existing tenured (salaried) post for the duration of the award
- you are the lead applicant on another application and you are waiting for a decision
- if you hold or have held, an equivalent fellowship at this career stage. An equivalent fellowship does not include short-term funding.
- In addition, you cannot apply if you intend to carry out activities that involve the transfer of grant funds into mainland China.
What does the Award offer?
- a salary for the grant holder and up to £400,000 for research expenses.
- relocation allowance
- also, you will get staffs
- continuing professional development and training
- materials and consumables
- Also, access charges
- travel as well as subsistence
- overseas allowences
- In addition, fieldwork expenses
- inflation allowence
- open-access charges
- Also, clinical research costs
- public engagement as well as patient involvement costs
- contract research organisations
- Moreover, other costs
If you’re awarded this grant
You are guaranteed an endorsement of a Global Talent visa application.
If your host organization is in the UK and you have team members who will spend at least 50% of their working time contributing to the award, they may be eligible to apply for a Global Talent visa through the endorsed funder route.
- First, submit your application to your host organization for approval
- Then, the host organization reviews your application and submits it to us
- One of the following Early-Career Advisory Groups will review your application, depending on your area of research
- Award will seek external written expert review on shortlisted applications. Only the proposed research will be reviewed.
- The Early-Career Interview Committee will interview shortlisted candidates at the Wellcome offices in London.
- Written feedback will be provided to all unsuccessful applicants at each decision point, including the reasons for a decision