The YALTA Business Accelerator, an initiative of The Netherland Foods Partnership within the Youth in Agroecology and Business Learning Track Africa (YALTA page) calls upon SMEs in Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda to submit their agroecological ideas for a sustainable, healthy and diverse food system.
The 10 selected participants will benefit from business & innovation skills training, innovation jams and coaching to improve their agroecological ideas and turn them into a plan that is ready to be implemented. All 10 participants will get the chance to pitch at a final event. At the end of the final event, 3 participants will be winners. The winners will receive a matching grant and coaching to make game-changer ideas a reality.
The prize winners of YALTA Business Accelerator will receive the matching grant for the implementation of their solution
- 1st Prize: 5,000 €
- 2nd Prize: 3,000 €
- 3rd Prize: 2,000 €
The 10 selected participants will receive
- Business and innovation skills training
- Coaching to develop, test, iterate and pitch your agroecological solution like a pro.
- Opportunity to pitch in front of investors.
- Opportunity to have follow-up coaching sessions.
- A young entrepreneur in agriculture, food and nutrition
- Managing a local business for the local / regional market in Ethiopia / Kenya / Rwanda or Uganda
- You have an idea to improve your business so that it contributes to a sustainable food system
- Your business is running since 1+ year
- If the COVID-19 measures allow: you are available to travel to Nairobi for a 3-day-long in-person training at the end of August (travel costs reimbursed).
- If the COVID-19 measures do not allow: you are available and able to participate in the training online, including participation on virtual sessions and online self-study sessions over the period of 2 weeks at the end of August.
Winning ideas contribute to one or more of these goals:
- Resource efficiency (waste reduction, regenerative agriculture and circular practices)
- Dietary diversity
- Synergies and co-creation in the food system
- Human health and well-being
- Creating value for low-income or other vulnerable groups
Besides impact potential on these goals, applications will be evaluated based on:
- Feasibility and clarity of the idea
- Desirability: is the idea benefiting your customers, clients?
- Viability: is the business model behind the idea viable?
- Current contribution to agroecological principles: what do you do already in your business to be resource-efficient, and benefit people and the planet?
- Suitability: is the YALTA Business Accelerator a good fit for you based on your ambitions
OYA Opportunities is in Telegram too. Catch us here