The Asia-Europe Foundation Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS) is ASEM‘s official Youth platform that connects youth with the Heads of States and Governments from 51 Asian & European countries and therefore the political Leaders of the EU & the ASEAN Secretariat.
The 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS4) may be a fully-funded 10-month long youth leadership programme connected to the 13th ASEM Summit (ASEM13) in June 2021 in Cambodia. The ASEFYLS4 focuses on ‘Sustainable Development during a post-COVID-19 World’ and incorporates 3 spheres for youth leadership: 1) self-leadership (you), 2) team leadership (we) and 3) societal leadership (all).
The 4th edition may be a hybrid project with collaborative elements happening virtually, in Cambodia, also as across ASEM countries. We address 4 thematic areas:
What Will #ASEFYLS4 Offer?
The ASEFYLS4 programme consists of three phases:
- Knowledge Building: Monday, 22 February 2021 – 28 May 2021, Virtual: They invite youth to an in-depth knowledge journey and peer-to-peer exploration into Asia-Europe Relations, the Sustainable Development Goals and Leadership with a licensed course and training led by the school of Europe in Natolin and therefore the Center for Creative Leadership respectively. Besides focus group discussions & youth collaboration, the highlights of this phase are going to be Youth Dialogues with ASEM Heads of States and Governments led by ASEFYLS4 representatives.
- Youth Summit: Saturday, 29 May 2021 – Wednesday, 2 June 2021, Cambodia/Virtual: The virtual or hybrid Youth Summit will happen in conjunction with the 13th ASEM Summit in Cambodia, pending local and international public health & safety guidelines, also as travel recommendations. Youth will have the chance to deepen their networks and conversations, and also prepare an ASEM Youth Declaration which will be presented by ASEFYLS4 participants at the Opening Ceremony of the 13th ASEM Summit to the ASEM Leaders. Engagement with ASEM Leaders and their Delegations are planned.
- Leadership in Action: June – November 2021, Virtual & in local ASEM communities during this phase, participants will turn theory into action, and jointly work on 15 impactful, community projects on the Sustainable Development Goals across ASEM. See here for more details on the projects. The 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit is accessible to all or any ASEM youth.
What’s in it for the Youth?
- Receive a licensed course/training by world-leading institutions on Asia-Europe relations and therefore the Sustainable Development Goals, also as Leadership!
- Have the rare chance to interact with ASEM Heads of States and Governments to present the youth voice and even have the once-in-a lifetime opportunity to moderate a Youth Dialogue with an ASEM Head of State or Government!
- Bring the youth voice into the multilateral policy arena and contribute to the ASEM Process. Be a part of and even featured within the ASEM-wide Youth Leadership Report and have your perspectives reflected within the ASEM Youth Declaration, which will be presented to the ASEM Leaders at the 13th ASEM Summit Opening Ceremony!
- Leave a positive mark in local communities across Asia and Europe and convey in your enthusiasm, knowledge and skills to fifteen ASEFYLS4 Leadership in Action projects on the SDGs!
- Have access to and become a member of the ASEM & ASEF youth community opening doors for cross-regional collaboration and exchange.
Benefits of Asia-Europe Foundation Young Leaders Summit
ASEF and its partners will provide a travel subsidy for the determined number of participants travelling from abroad, from your country of residence to Cambodia and back. The subsidy could also cover local transportation (home – airport – home). The travel subsidy amount will be announced to the chosen participants directly and only be paid if the participant physically attends the Summit.
The organisers also will provide:
- shared accommodation for the chosen participants travelling from abroad to Phnom Penh
- meals, adjusted for participants who have special dietary requirements, the maximum amount as possible
- support to hide travel insurance and visa fees (if applicable)
- a visa support letter to those that require it
You have to satisfy all the subsequent eligibility criteria to participate within the
4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit:
- Be a citizen of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Partner countries
- Be a student, entrepreneur, academic or young professional between the ages of 18-30
- Have a robust command of English (written and verbal)
When assessing the applications, ASEF and its partners will lay extra weight on the:
- Current or past extra-curricular (and/or professional) activities that are relevant to the ASEFYLS4 and will enrich the range of expertise and perspectives of the participants group
- Possible contribution with knowledge and/or skills to the Leadership in Action Projects
- Originality of the motivational statement
- Proven experience with and/or expressed interest in AsiaEurope relations.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!