Applications for ASEAN-Australia Young Leaders Forum (AAYLF) are now being accepted! The ASEAN-Australia Young Leaders Forum (AAYLF) is a funded four-day intensive workshop which aims to cultivate the next generation of leadership in the ASEAN-Australia relationship. Delegates to the Forum will develop a deeper knowledge of the ASEAN-Australia relationship, foster stronger intercultural leadership skills, build a regional network of like-minded young people and design and implement projects to improve ASEAN-Australia relations. Further, delegates will leave the Forum as advocates and agents for increased partnership and collaboration between ASEAN and Australia. The forum will comprise of expert panel discussions, skill-building workshops, a hackathon, cross-cultural events, and professional networking opportunities. The detailed program schedule will be released at a later date.
- Enhance knowledge – Equip 40 young leaders with deep and applicable knowledge of the complexities and opportunities of ASEAN and ASEAN-Australia cooperation.
- Create Connections – Connect outstanding young Australian and Southeast Asian leaders in an empowering, close-knit environment.
- Develop Soft Skills – Develop important skills in negotiation, collaboration, leadership, entrepreneurship, and also, intercultural relations.
- Link Networks – Provide opportunities to engage with expert speakers, university, industry and government partners, business figures and also, community organizations leading in the ASEAN-Australia space.
- Strengthen ASEAN-Australia relations
Duties of the delegates
here are three components to the AAYLF.
- Delegates firstly complete a pre-forum curriculum that will include an ASEAN – Australia relations webinar, country profile presentation, and an opinion piece to showcase on the day of the forum. Further, this pre-conference curriculum is mandatory because presentations and opinion pieces will be presented later on in the forum.
- Secondly, delegates must actively participate in the scheduled AALYF program.
Following the forum, delegates will take on the role of ASEAN-Australian Strategic Youth Leaders for a twelve-month period.
- The deadline for submitting applications is August 9, 2019. It is to apply within the deadline as late submissions will not be accepted.
- All selected delegates will receive a full scholarship to attend AAYLF. The scholarship will include the following
- Delegate registration to attend the Forum;
- Likewise, Return flights to Jakarta from Australia or an ASEAN member state;
- Accommodation for the duration of the Forum (28th November to 3rd December);
- Catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The potential candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be aged between 18 and 29 years of age as of 29th November 2019.
- Have a good command of English
- Able to commit to completing an online pre-forum curriculum
- Be available to attend AAYLF in Jakarta between 28 November and 3 December and meet any applicable visa requirements
- Further, be actively in current affairs impacting ASEAN member states and/or the ASEAN-Australia relationship
- Be willing to act as an ASEAN-Australia Strategic Youth Leader for a duration of 12 months following the Forum
- Hold a valid Australian or ASEAN member state national passport
- Submit their completed application (consisting of both the written application and short video) by the submission deadline of 09 August 2019.