Want to be a Young Diplomat for a weekend? The Model ASEM Spin-off Malta 2019 OpenCall for student participants is out. Model ASEM Spin-off conferences aim at capturing the enthusiasm of students to engage in political simulations at a broader level. Further, The Model ASEM Spin-off conferences are self-organized by students and institutions. Further, who aspire to build platforms for young people to exchange perspectives on Asia-Europe collaborations. Also, promote the ASEM Process and build long-term relations between the young people of the 2 continents.
Moreover, Model ASEM is a simulation of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (FMM) when the Foreign Ministers and Representatives of the 53 ASEM Partners convene. Further, It provides a platform for vibrant political debate and negotiation where students have the possibility to experience first-hand Asia-Europe diplomacy. Also, each participant will be part of an ASEM Delegation and join role-play exercises and practical training to enhance her/his diplomacy, consensus-building, and public-speaking skills.
- Link students with ASEM Officials on a national level
- Facilitate capacity-building and fine-tuning of skills in the fields of negotiation, diplomacy and consensus-building
- Enhance the understanding of Asia-Europe collaboration and the ASEM Process
- Develop a consensus-based Model ASEM Chair’s Statement
Program Elements: The project includes 2 parts:
- Phase 1: Preparatory phase
Participants will partake in pre-event research as a groundwork for Model ASEM Spin-off edition preparations.
- Phase 2: Conference
The participants will partake in Plenary Sessions and ASEM Senior Officials’ Meetings (SOMs) to discuss topics of economic, political and, social, cultural & educational interest. The conference may also entail visits to Diplomatic Missions of other ASEM countries located in the host country to gain in-depth knowledge about the functions of an Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.
- Enhance your understanding of Asia-Europe collaboration and the ASEM Process
- Play the role of a Foreign Minister, representing one of the 53 ASEM Partners, and debate political, economic as well as social, cultural and educational issues with your counterparts from Asia and Europe
- Meet leaders from governments, academia, inter-governmental organizations, diplomats and foreign affairs professionals
- Gain and develop skills in the fields of negotiation, diplomacy, and consensus-building
- Further, The two Best Delegates will be invited to join the 9th Model ASEM, which will take place in Madrid, Spain in December 2019 in conjunction with the 14th ASEM Foreign Ministers‘ Meeting (ASEM FMM14)
- There is no registration or participation fee for the spin-off event in Malta.
Light meals will be provided during the day.
Participants not residing in Malta, or based overseas, will be solely responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs.
The two Best Delegates will be provided with travel subsidy, accommodation and meals to participate in the 9th Model ASEM in Spain.
- Citizens of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Partner countries
- University students from all levels (undergraduate, graduate and doctoral) and all disciplines, between the ages of 18-30, with a sincere interest in international relations
- The conference will be in English only, and therefore requires a strong verbal and written command of English by all participants