The Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and TWAS have partnered to promote and support research on key challenges related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Further, The IsDB-TWAS Grants for Research Collaboration in Sustainability Sciences programme is fully funded by the IsDB and established to develop collaboration between researchers of IsDB-TWAS member countries. Additionally, Under this programme, qualified researchers from 57 IsDB countries working in the fields of sustainability science are invited to form a joint research collaboration consisting of two groups from different countries working on a common problem.
Moreover, Grants will enable the collaborating groups to purchase the research equipment. Further, strengthen the facilities they need to enhance their partnership and productivity. Also, to support the mobility of young scientists between the participating institutions for training purposes. Such visits should have a duration of two-four weeks. Partners should ensure, through the grant, that enough consumable supplies are available during such visits.
The Research Grants programme provides support for research projects in the following fields:
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Climate Change
- Sustainable cities
- Responsible growth
- Waste management
- Population growth
- Green chemistry
- Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics
- Water and hygiene
- The grant amounts to a maximum of USD 50,000 per group – USD 100,000 total per grant. Moreover, A grant is normally provided for a period of 24 months. The programme will choose one project per year.
- Each Principle Investigator (PI) must be a national of an IsDB member country and hold a PhD with good research experience and lead each research group. (Note: The PI will be responsible for the coordination of the research, submission of requested documentation and reporting of the expenses. Further, All TWAS correspondence will be with each PI).
- Also, one PI MUST be from an IsDB Least Developed Member Country and the other from any of the eligible IsDB member countries.
- likewise, Each member of the group should operate in a university or research institution in one of the IsDB member countries and should be represented in the proposal by a PI. No age limit is to the applicant.
- Applications from women scientists.
- Further, Individual young scientists or leaders of research units currently holding a TWAS Research Grant in the Basic Sciences are not eligible.