The University of Lugano (Università Della Svizzera Italiana) calls applications for Middle East Mediterranean (MEM) Summer Summit 2020 in Lugano, Switzerland. Every year more than 100 young change-makers from over 30 different countries along with around 100 speakers and distinguished guests attend the summit.
The Middle East Mediterranean Summer Summit aims to
- Offer a safe space for dialogue between young change-makers from the Middle East Mediterranean region were to lay out a vision for the common future of the region, by starting from the present.
- Build a common ground and intergenerational exchange between young people and decision-makers, public and private institutions, non-profit organizations, social enterprises.
- Develop novel approaches to tackle persisting critical issues.
- Act as a breeding ground for developing across the border and multilateral project proposals.
- Initiate collaboration as well as start networks among several actors in the region.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 25 to 35. They must be from the Middle East Mediterranean region and Europe and/or with a proven interest in the region and engagement in the society
- The organizer encourages applications from diverse educational backgrounds and work experience (professionals with careers in business, media, human rights, and non-governmental work as well as artists, intellectuals, students and researchers). Multidisciplinarity and heterogeneity of experience are enriching and crucial to approaching the complex issues from a plural perspective
- S/he must have an interest and also should be willing to work on project-proposals with an across border approach
- Possess the ability to work as part of a diversified team.
- Furthermore, they should have a strong knowledge of English. In addition to that, knowledge of French is an asset.
Fees and Scholarships
Tuition fees for the MEM Summer Summit 2020 are CHF 2,300 per student. This fee includes plenary sessions and workshops of the Seminar, panels of the Forum, all cultural activities during the Summit, lunches, and coffee breaks. It does not include travel costs, accommodation, visas, health insurance, and dinners.
The MEM Summer Summit offers a limited number of partial or full grants for participating in the MEM Summer Summit 2020. Moreover, full grants cover travel, accommodation and tuition fee where the partial grants cover tuition fees and/or accommodation.
Applicants must submit a complete application on the online YCM platform. In addition to completing the application form, applicants must upload the following documents:
- A Letter of Intent of no more than two pages describing current interests and plans in the MEM region; suggesting how the MEM Summer Summit may help further those interests and plans.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae as well as a short introduction video in English (up to two minutes long), in which the applicant introduces themselves, briefly state why they are the right candidate and how they can contribute to the Summit.
- The names and contacts of two referees.
The last date to submit an application for the Middle East Mediterranean Summer Summit 2020 in Switzerland is Sunday 15 March 2020.