Applications are open forProject iSWEST Summer Innovation Bootcamp 2019. The projects iSWEST is a 3-week intensive innovation boot camp for high school students in Ghana held every year in August.
Moreover, Participants will get hands-on training in computer and Arduino programming, innovation and entrepreneurship. They are also taken through the innovation and design process from problem identification to prototyping solutions.
Furthermore, They present their projects to a panel of judges on the final day called the Pitch Day. Also, Since 2013 Project iSWEST has been held each year except for 2016.
- Gain basic skills in Computer Programming and Microcontroller (Arduino) Programming.
- Learn to use the design process to identify a problem and develop possible, sustainable solutions to those problems.
- Further, Study how to turn a business idea into a viable business.
- Learn how to present and pitch ideas and products.
- See how to work together in a team.
- Get access to a large network of alumni, mentors and other resource persons who can help transform Project iSWEST ideas into viable businesses.
- Be resident in Accra or at least be able to get accommodation in Accra during the entire program.
- Be able to commit to attending the full program from 8th to 26th July 2019 from 8 am to 5 pm each day.
- Commit to completing all activities including participating in group work, submitting assignments, attending field trips, taking part in research activities, also, attending the pitch day, etc.
Structure of Project iSWEST 2019
Project iSWEST 2019 will be in two parts, the Workshop Phase, and the Innovation Phase.
- Workshop Phase (Week 1)
Students will get an introduction to the innovation process and given basic hands-on training in computer programming and Microcontrollers (Arduino).
- Innovation Phase (Weeks 2 & 3)
Participants will familiarize themselves with problems after which they will work in teams to further research the problem, design, and prototype an innovative solution to the problem. Facilitators and mentors will be there with each team to support and assist the team during the innovation phase. Students will also have mentorship sessions with young professionals from Facebook, Google, and other reputable institutions in person and via video link.
- The Pitch Day
The climax of Project iSWEST 2019 is the final day “The Pitch Day” where teams will present their solutions to a panel of judges, high school officials and other dignitaries. Evaluation of teams will be on the impact, sustainability, feasibility and business viability of their projects. Awards will also be for the top three teams.