Applications are now open for the Oxford Public Speaking Summer School 2020. The course will start with an exploration of the skills required to be a great public speaker, and learning the theory and methodology of public speaking. The history of public speaking will be examined, and students will analyze famous historical speeches also the methods that famous and contemporary speakers, such as Former President Barack Obama, employ. Students will then examine the reasoning and means by which speakers overcome anxiety when speaking in front of a crowd.
By the end of the course, students will have:
- Explored what makes a speech (and a speaker) riveting to their audience
- Further, Learned how to handle their public speaking nerves
- Received a full day of classical voice coaching which will emphasize the importance of language, tone, style, and body language
- Also, Discussed different types of speeches and when they should be used
- Discovered the importance of planning speeches
- Given several speeches to their peers, and participated in a debate, to refine their skills
- A better understanding of how to construct both a persuasive speech and an informative one
- Learned how to think on their feet.
- Students will be accommodated in comfortable single rooms in either Merton or University College, depending on the course chosen – please contact our registrations team if you would like more information.
Students on this course:
- Must conform to our age policy.
- Further, Must be fluent or near-fluent English language speakers – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on the email address given below. Also, they will be able to assist you.
- Further, must be able to fulfill the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals, and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.