The mission of OHCHR’s Regional Office for South America is to observe, promote and protect human rights in seven countries across the region: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. To that end, they establish relationships for close cooperation, technical assistance and permanent dialogue with governments, national human rights institutions, civil society organizations, UN country teams and agencies, among others. They contribute to strengthening the capacity of these actors, so as to improve the promotion and protection of human rights, according to international norms.
Under the general guidance of the Public Information Officer and the direct supervision of Information Assistant, the intern will assist in implementing order, classification and visualization initiatives for the physical and digital librarian material of the office of the High Commissioner, including the following functions:
- Review the stock and integrity of the library materials and participate in the redesign of the library’s physical space.
- Also, Develop a database that contains all publications in existence in the office and their quantities.
- Contribute to the updating of the Library’s digital repository.
- Also, Develop services that increase the visibility of the digital library, internally and externally.
- Contribute to the improvement of a library communications plan and ensures that internal and external users are informed of the new resources offered by the digital library.
- Also, Prepare promotional and interactive Library materials about services and information resources
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Also, be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
- Also, Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Also, For this internship, studies in library sciences are desirable.