Interpreter, French Internship in Nairobi, Kenya (United Nations)
Interpreter, French: position is in the French Interpretation Unit, Interpretation Section, Division of Conference Services, UNON.
Under the broad supervision of the Senior Interpreter, the Interpreter will be responsible for the following duties:
- Services up to seven meetings per week (exceptionally eight), usually of no more than three hours duration.
- Provides interpretation into French of speeches or statements given in English and Russian.
- Routinely covers sensitive meetings.
- Routinely functions as team leader of all interpreters assigned to a given meeting.
- May be called upon to serve as Team Leader on missions.
- May assist in the screening, training and examining of prospective French interpreters.
- May provide guidance and coaching to junior interpreters.
- May function as Programming Officer.
- May perform other related duties, as required.
check: Chief Of Section, Property Management at United Nations.
- A first level degree from a university or from an institution of equivalent status is required. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Candidates for this position must have passed the French United Nations Language Competitive Examination for French Interpreters.
- Having passed the United Nations Competitive Examination for French Interpreters is required.
- At least five (5) years of professional interpreting experience in international organizations is required.
- Experience providing accurate interpretation of a broad range of UN subjects is desirable.
- Experience in training and coaching interpreter trainees and junior staff interpreters is desirable.
- Experience in grading interpretation exams and/or assessing freelance colleagues’ performance is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages in the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency / perfect command of French, normally expected to be the incumbent’s main language is required. Candidates for this position must also possess an excellent knowledge of English, and Russian.
NOTE: “fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
For more information, UN