Solutions Adviser Internship Opportunity in Maputo, Mozambique (UNDP)
Administered by UNDP, the Solutions Adviser will work under the overall guidance of the Mozambique RC and the direct supervision of the Head of the RCO to support the UNCT, the Solutions Working Group (SWG) and the Technical Support Group (TSG) on Solutions as well as other relevant national/local coordination bodies and workstreams, including the Humanitarian Country Team.
Duties and Responsibilities for Solutions Adviser
Provide strategic and technical advisory support to the UN RC and UNCT through the Solutions Working Group to lead national/local partnerships on solutions and for UN strategies and programmes to have a solutions approach to displacement:
- Support the operationalisation of the Solutions Working Group and its respective workstreams on Data for Solutions, IDP consultation and inclusion, Government engagement, and financing and resource mobilisation, including tracking and reporting on progress against the workplan.
- Assist in identifying and addressing any challenges and bottlenecks in coordination and actual implementation on the ground.
- Promote/advise on leveraging programmatic investments by development and humanitarian actors against advocacy goals linked to the inclusion of IDPs in national planning and prioritization.
- Undertake training of the UN teams to ensure durable solutions are mainstreamed into the work of UN Agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- Leading and supporting the knowledge management and sharing among the stakeholders: organizing, contributing to joint-impact assessments, analyses, advocating for evidence based programming on solutions, identifying and sharing best practices, lessons learned. Coordination to ensure coherence and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Support resource mobilization activities for durable solutions activities and programmes under the Solutions Working Group (SWG).
- Support the formulation process of joint proposals among agencies and targeting multilateral funds
Facilitate and promote national/ local ownership and capacities on solutions strategies and prevention of internal displacement:
- Through the Solutions Working Group, support the UNCT in ensuring government ownership and leadership with an engagement at the highest political level.
- Support authorities and partners to consistently monitor and assess solutions programmes for rapid adjustment and course correction as needed.
- Strengthen government’s capacity, ownership and coordination for knowledge management.
Maintain positive working relations and manage information flows between and among key stakeholders including government counterparts, UN focal points/Agencies, INGOs, private sector, civil society, and the donor community:
- Establish and maintain a network of key stakeholders, including with national and sub-national counterparts, NGOs, donor community, diaspora, private sector and academia.
- Contribute to relevant policy dialogue and policy development processes.
- Support exchanges and inputs of High-Level Advisers, facilitating their in-country missions when required and maintain momentum around issues of displacement and durable solutions.
- Actively participate in global practice networks on durable solutions and other knowledge networking forums and share relevant information with UN agencies.
- Support monitoring trips by representatives of the Special Advisor to Solutions on Displacement.
You should check out (UN) Senior Programme Management Officer Internship in Canada
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international development, international affairs, migration and displacement studies, or other relevant field is required.
- First level university degree (Bachelor´s degree) in the areas mentioned above in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree.
- Minimum 7 years (with Master´s degree) or 9 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of relevant experience in either public sector (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility.
- At least 4 years of experience in crisis and fragile settings with strong relevant experience in forced displacement and development/durable solutions is required.
- Demonstrated managerial experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in programming, partnership development and resource mobilization; excellent coordination, negotiation and communication skills, as well as ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, civil society and academia) is an asset.
- Experience or conversant in the area of internal displacement and/or the Solutions Agenda is desirable.
- Experience on the nexus, conflict sensitive programming is desirable.
- Experience in Mozambique is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese is required.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!