UNFCCC Global Climate Action – Communications Internship is available in the Sustainable Development Mechanisms (SDM) Programme. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the focus of the political process to address Climate Change. The Sustainable Development Mechanisms (SDM) programme is leading in the development and effective implementation of innovative approaches to broaden the engagement in and effectiveness of action to mitigate climate change as well as drive sustainable development. SDM also manages and promotes Global Climate Action (GCA) with the aim to catalyze the expansion and success of actors and initiatives to act on climate change. This internship position is within the communications team of the GCA division, supporting activities related to strategy, events, digital work and public information.
During the period of the internship, you will develop a deep understanding of:
- The Paris Agreement and its aims;
- Climate action opportunities and activities by non-Party stakeholders;
- Likewise, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their linkage with climate change;
- Development and implementation of communication materials (strategies, plans, written pieces, digital products, etc);
- Furthermore, events organization
- Completed first level university degree, and currently enrolled in a postgraduate degree at a recognized university at the time of application and for the duration of the internship. Preferred fields of studies include communications, journalism, digital communications, public information, political science, public relations, graphic design or a related field
- Fluency in both written and verbal English is essential.
- Moreover, proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required; strong writing, analysis and research skills.
- Similarly, familiarity with primary social media channels and internet websites (including drafting content).
- Literacy in Graphic Design and video production and associated design softwares (e.g. Adobe Suite) are an advantage.
Responsibilities of the Intern
- Undertaking detailed media reviews in target regions on climate action to assess tone, public opinion, and range of coverage
- Conducting research and analysis on climate action globally, identifying current and potential stakeholders
- Contributing to strategic discussions, both on communications plans and digital strategies
- Drafting social media products, including posts, images and video scripts
- In addition, drafting content and editing the Global Climate Action website
- Providing input, or background briefings, to written products such as press releases, media advisories and speeches
- Working closely with the Global Climate Action team
Candidates who are interested in this assignment and meet the minimum requirements must use the
on-line application system and include a cover letter.