Harvard University Business Schools seeks a predoctoral Research Associate for the academic year 2020-21. The position work with a faculty member in the HBS Finance unit. Research topics include financial intermediation, FinTech, and the ways in which financial innovation has disrupted markets.
The fellowship is a terrific opportunity for a candidate who is seeking academic research experience in preparation for pursuing a Ph.D. in two or more years. This position offers the RA the opportunity to develop a variety of skills for graduate schools, such as to the ability to develop, design, and conduct research projects; synthesize, analyze, and produce statistical models. In addition to closely working with the faculty, the pre-doctoral Research Associate will work together in a common environment with weekly meetings and other informal events. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an environment that requires a high level of independence, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to use discretionary judgment.
Candidates will do the following duties
- Collect, synthesize, and provide analysis of data exhibits for academic journal articles. Provide statistical analysis and design for reports and presentations.
- Independently manage all timelines and deliverables.
- Develop and maintain expertise in new research methodologies and techniques. Manage and manipulate data using requested packages; STATA, Python, MATLAB, or R.
- Balance project requests from multiple faculty members, using strong communication and prioritization skills.
- Exercise independent decision making with regard to the progression of research projects and methodologies. When confronted with research data, be able to make deductions, add insight, and draw conclusions to share with faculty.
- Collaborate in the development of new techniques and instruments.
- Use knowledge of quantitative methods to analyze and interpret experimental results. Work independently with research methodologies to identify gaps in research data and methods.
- Produce innovative academic materials to supplement faculty research and teaching. Make recommendations to faculty based on statistical interpretation and independent research. Analyze, interpret, and evaluate the quality of results.
- Under the general direction of the faculty member, must be able to take complex research ideas, concepts, and methodologies and apply them to new projects and situations. Must be able to structure assignments and keep faculty members informed as necessary, using own judgment.
In order to be eligible for Research Associate at Harvard University, candidates must have the following
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, mathematics, quantitative sciences, or business-related field.
- Statistical/programming experience and/or applied experience with Python, R or Stata is a must.