Applications are now open for the Beacon Scholarship 2020-2021. The Beacon Equity Trust is an educational charity, found in 2009, whose principal activity is to support the operation of The Beacon Scholarship. It is privately fund and presently operates in the UK and East Africa. Candidates must be Nominate by their current School Head and once they have obtain an offer of admission to their choice of university, will be invited to apply for a Beacon Scholarship for University.
- Applicants must obtain an offer of a place in at least one university participating in The Beacon Scholarship
- An applicant must demonstrate active participation in sport, music or drama, with some formal level of proficiency or accreditation.
- The applicant must have held a position of responsibility in their school or some evidence of confidence amongst peers
- An applicant must show through examples that they have helped those less fortunate than themselves
- Applicant must have the capacity to study independently overseas, which includes English Language Competence.
- Must provide proof of financial need
- Must have the commitment to make a contribution to the development of their home country
Capacity to study independently overseas (which necessarily involves consideration of the applicant’s competence in English)
- Further, the applicant must be a national of, and ordinarily resident in Kenya, Tanzania or Uganda
- Beacon reviews the Nomination and issues an Application Form to suitable candidates;
- Beacon reviews Application Forms and shortlists candidates to be for interview and assessment;
- The likely contribution of the candidate to other areas of university life
- Commitment to return to their home country within one month of degree completion and thereafter remain in their home country for at least two full years (unless otherwise agreed in writing with the Beacon Equity Trust)
- Commitment to make a contribution to the development of their home country
- If they are deem to be suitable, candidates will then be to complete a full Application Form.