The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a qualified individual for the program to build internal knowledge. Also, the capacity for better use of their data organization-wide. This is a full-time, exempt position based in New York. This is a one-year fellowship that was in honor of Patti Birch, with support from the Patti and Everett B. Birch Foundation.
Moreover, Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Further, through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
The Patti Birch Fellow’s duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work alongside the editorial team to identify opportunities for CPJ to highlight and utilize to the full extent possible its data on journalists killed, imprisoned or missing in relation to their work, in both daily and longer-term content.
- Work with web developers, suggest and implement improvements to CPJ data manager (internal database) and data explorer (data section of CPJ website) to facilitate use also the presentation of the data
- Likewise, Identify potential opportunities for highlighting CPJ data externally or pairing it with partners’ data for increased insights
- Prepare and present an internal strategy also a practical guide on how to use CPJ’s data to identify, highlight, and illustrate trends in press freedom.
- Participate in wider-ranging collaborative projects as assigned.
- The fellowship comes with an annual stipend of $40,000. Fellows qualify for some CPJ benefits; please consult the CPJ handbook for details.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism or related field
- A deep interest in and knowledge of data journalism, data visualization, and journalism more broadly
- Skilled with spreadsheets and with data visualization tools such as Highcharts
- Further, Strong research, writing and editing skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and in teams, including with remote participants
- Deadline oriented and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- A passion for freedom of the press
- An international bent
- Candidates must be authorized to be employed in the United States