CTICU Training Fellowship at Stony Brook University. The program is 12 months long with both didactic and hands-on learning. The successful candidate will start their career in an area where they will care for patients ranging from neonates to geriatric and simple to highly complex. Stony Brook is seeking highly motivated individuals, that are self-directed, goal oriented, confident, enthusiastic, and ultimately patient-focused.
Duties may include the following but are not limited to:
- Assess the patient’s condition and nursing needs; coordinate nursing care activities with other health disciplines involved in the treatment effort to relate and integrate the nursing regimen with the treatment plan for patients.
- Develop a written individualized care plan which includes teaching needs and discharge planning.
- Administer direct care when professional nursing skills and judgment are needed.
- Practice infection control and participate in the maintenance of a clean and safe environment.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for the delivery of nursing care to all assigned patients. Communicates changes in patient’s condition and questions regarding patient care to Charge RN/Clinician.
- Develops and maintains the current written plan of care for assigned patients. Sets priorities to meet the patient’s needs. Sets patient goals and priorities with the patient and/or family.
- Provides documented evidence in the medical record of patient/family teaching and their responses and understanding of the teaching. Ensures that patient education and instructions are consistent with that of the physician or designee.
- Communicates and works effectively with other staff and other departments.
Participates in unit or hospital based quality assurance activities or committees to contribute to the advancement of the nursing profession at Stony Brook University Hospital.
Candidates for this CTICU Training Fellowship must have the following qualifications
- New Graduates Only. Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing. Completion of NYS NCLEX prior to hire.
- Capstone/Practicum in Cardiothoracic setting Nursing Assistant/tech/clinical assistant in Cardiothoracic setting preferred.
- Have one year of permanent competitive service as a Teaching and Research Center Nurse 1, Grade 14.