The Royal Academy of Engineering offers Development Research Fellowships each year to outstanding early-career researchers to support them to become future research leaders in engineering. The scheme’s objectives are to:
- support the best early-career researchers in establishing their independence and international reputation
- provide long-term support enabling the pursuit of an ambitious program of engineering research and impact
- develop ambassadors for the Academy and advocates for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) disciplines.
Engineering for Development Research Fellowships
The Royal Academy of Engineering welcomes applications from early-career researchers worldwide. Further, the researchers should have acquired their PhD in the last four years. The scheme provides funding for five years. Each application is capped at a maximum contribution from the Academy of £500,000 over the five-year period, at 80% of full economic costs. In addition, Research Fellows must continue their fellowship at a UK higher education institution/university.
In addition to the direct financial support, the Engineering for Development Research Fellowships also benefits candidates in the following ways:
- opportunity to establish a research track record in a specialized area
- a stronger position to apply for additional funding as well as develop own research team
- mentoring support from an Academy Fellow to offer advice on research and career development
- reduction of teaching and administrative duties to dedicate time to research
- training opportunities
- Also, networking with other Research Fellows and Academy Fellows.
Who is eligible for the Engineering for Development Research Fellowships?
- Applicants successful to obtain Engineering for Development Research Fellowships must continue their fellowship at a UK higher education institution/university. In addition, the host institution must agree to provide the Research Fellow all the support normal for a permanent employee.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the host institution and gain formal approval from the relevant head of department or school before submitting an application.
- Likewise, the proposed research project must be in an engineering subject area.
- Further, research Fellowships are aimed at early-career researchers. Applicants must have a PhD degree.
- Nor the applicant must hold a permanent academic position.
- The host institution will employ the research fellows where they devote all their working time towards the fellowship.
How to apply for the Engineering for Development Research Fellowships?
Eligible candidates may submit the applications for the Engineering for Development research fellowship at Royal Academy of Engineering via Grant Management System. All applicants must first register and provide some basic log-in details to create a profile.
Further, the application form has six sections and hence, the candidates should complete all the sections to consider the application complete. Further, the candidates should also provide the necessary documentation required for the fellowship.
The deadline to apply for the Engineering for Development Research Fellowship is Monday 23 September 2019. The Royal Academy of Engineering will not entertain the applications arriving after the deadline.