In these times of rapid change and extraordinary development challenges throughout Asia, the need for creative, inspired, and transformative leadership has never been more imperative. To address this need, The Asia Foundation has created the fully funded Asia Foundation Development Fellows program. It is an initiative that identifies, nurtures, and supports dedicated next-generation leaders across Asia. The program aims to strengthen and enhance the ability of carefully selected leaders and changemakers to advance Asia’s social, economic, and political development through forward-looking initiatives as well as policy reforms.
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a multifaceted experience-enhancing leadership skill, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure for young Asian professionals. The program also provides the flexibility for Fellows to customize their own professional development component and to stay in their current occupations while participating in the program’s rigorous modules. The program comprises the following four components:
- Leadership Dialogue and Exchange program in Asia (2 weeks);
- Leadership Dialogue and Exchange in the U.S. (2 weeks);
- Professional Development Award of US$5,000; and
- Also, mentorship, formally allowing Fellows to tap into The Asia Foundation’s extensive human resources and thematic expertise.
Fully Funded Asia Foundation Development Fellows Program
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows is a fully funded program that covers all expenses of the selected fellows. Moreover, the Asia Foundation will cover the costs including costs for coursework and programming. Further, it also covers airfares and local transportation, lodging and meals, visa fees, and health and accident insurance. Fellows also receive a Professional Development Award of up to US$5,000 for their own personalized professional development
Eligibility for the Asia Foundation Development Fellows Program
Candidates from Asian nations are eligible for the Development Fellows Program if their profile aligns with The Asia Foundation criteria:
- You must be under 40 years of age by January 1 of the designated Fellowship year
- Further, you must have a demonstrable record of high achievement, and must show evidence of outstanding potential for professional advancement and significant impact in their chosen field;
- Likewise, you must have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise – governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Have outstanding personal character and integrity;
- Thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields as well as within their larger community;
- Proficient in English (TOEFL exam results not required);
- Also, be available and able to participate in all program components on specified dates, no exceptions;
- Citizens or nationals countries where The Asia Foundation has programs.
How to apply for the Asia Foundation Development Fellows?
In order to apply for the Asia Foundation Development Fellows program, the prospective fellows must complete and submit the online application form. In the applicaiton form the candidates must mention:
- Personal information such as contact details and your educational as well as professional background.
- Written submission
- One-paragraph Biography
- Statement of Intent
- Open-ended response: Leadership comes in many shapes and forms – there is no single way to be an effective leader. What makes you a leader? How do you lead? Please share how you demonstrate leadership with an example from your personal or professional experience. (max 300 words)
- Supplementary materials: CV and transcript
- Short video submission: a short, 3-4 minute video with your introduction and professional background. Also, an open-end response to ‘We lives in challenging times. Political polarization, growing inequality, and climate change, among other challenges, are threatening the peace and prosperity of societies across the globe. Given these challenges, please share your thoughts and vision on how an effective leader can build a positive and sustainable social impact. You may choose to speak broadly or focus on a specific challenge or leadership approach.’
- Also, letters of recommendation (handled online)
The Asia Foundation accepts the application for the fully funded Development Fellows Program until October 7, 2019 (11:59 pm PDT ). However, applications arriving after the deadline are ineligible for the fellowship.