Login to your account
Don't have an account yet?
Create your own account and receive notifications of opportunities of your interest, save the opportunity you like and discuss.
Fully Funded Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme

Fully Funded Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme

Fully Funded
Country: Denmark
Looks like you haven't logged in.
Login to save opportunities.


The Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme recruits up to 16 motivated international students annually to launch their careers in the vibrant scientific environment of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers in Copenhagen.

Selection is based on academic achievements, research experience, academic references and interviews. The interview visit for up to 40 shortlisted applicants comprises panel interviews, one-on-one meetings with potential supervisors, and tours of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers.

Furthermore, the Novo Nordisk Foundation arranges and pays for travel and accommodation for interviewing candidates.

Programme outline

The four-year programme is divided into a pre-doctoral year followed by three years of PhD training at the University of Copenhagen or the Technical University of Denmark.

The pre-doctoral year includes short rotation projects, choice of a lab for the long-term (PhD) project, and research-based courses. Approximately 15% of the time during the pre-doctoral year will be on courses and the remaining 85% on lab-based research. All awardees must pass an assessment at the end of the pre-doctoral year to qualify for the following three years of PhD education.

All students in the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme complete three two-week rotation projects at the start of the pre-doctoral year. During each rotation project, the student and supervisor will discuss potential long-term project ideas. After completing the three rotation projects, the student agrees with one of their rotation supervisors to join their lab for the long-term (PhD) project.


The CPH Bioscience PhD programme is for international talents to come to Denmark and start their research careers at one of the NNF Research Centers.

Applicants must fulfil the following:

  • Submit a fully completed application form before the deadline via the Novo Nordisk Foundation web-based application system.
  • Provide a minimum of two academic references.
  • Hold, or anticipate receiving before enrolment, a university degree that formally qualifies the applicant to enter a PhD programme.
  • Hold, or anticipate receiving before enrolment, a university degree from outside of Denmark.
  • The programme is also open for applicants with a Danish degree who can document at least 12 months of full-time research experience from outside Denmark, confirmed by at least one of their academic references.
  • Provide proof of English language skills.


  1. Novo Nordisk Foundation will cover full salary and tuition fees.
  2. Funding for the first year is unconditional for all successful applicants.
  3. Later, funding for the following three years will have a conditional award; successful qualifying assessment at the end of the first (pre-doctoral) year will gain the award.

Up to sixteen positions will get funding for a programme that starts in September 2022. Applicants of all nationalities may be awarded funding, provided they fulfil all of the eligibility criteria.

Click: African Institute for Mathematical Science(AIMS)2022

Application process

  • Applications must be complete and submission should be through Novo Nordisk Foundation electronic application system.
  • Once signed up and logged in at the Novo Nordisk Foundation grant administration system, you can find the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme call for applications under the ‘Copenhagen Bioscience’ tab.
  • All complete applications submitted are reviewed by a committee of Group Leaders from the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers.
  • Applicants can expect a reply from the review committee in February 2022.



Type of Opportunity Scholarships and Fellowships
Deadline17 January,2022
Open toAll
OrganizerNovo Nordisk Foundation
Contact the organizer[email protected]



Your email address will not be published. Fields marked with * are required.