The fully funded Finnish Government Scholarships Pool grants are intended for doctoral-level post-graduate studies and research in Finnish universities and public research centers. These scholarships are based on bilateral agreements between Finland and other countries. The scholars work on a doctoral thesis or a research visit in Finland.
Fully Funded Finnish Government Scholarships
The Fully Funded Finnish Government Scholarships is available for 3 to 9 months. It offers 1,500 euros/month and is paid to the applicant in full. It is enough to cover the living costs of only one person in Finland.
The students may not extend the scholarship. However, if the need arises to extend the stay after the end of the scholarship, candidates must acquire additional funding from other sources.
Also, the recipients must note that the scholarship doesn’t cover the travel expenses to Finland and within Finland. The scholarship holder must also pay for the insurance and visa costs themselves.
The scholarship of the Finnish National Agency for Education (EDUFI) is tax-free because the amount does not exceed the tax-free grant amounts allowed in Finland. If you have been awarded other grants or have other income at the same time, this may exceed the tax-free limit.
Eligibility for the Finnish Government Scholarships
Eligible candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship have a profile that aligns with the following characteristics:
- Applicants must have been pre-approved to carry out research relating to a doctoral-level thesis or been invited as a doctoral student in a Finnish university or a public research center.
- Likewise, they should have a letter of invitation from a supervisor in a Finnish university or a research center.
- However, the applicants must not already have studied or worked in a Finnish university for more than a year immediately before the planned start of the scholarship period.
- Also, the applicants must demonstrate their proficiency in English with an official language test (IELTS, TOEFL). Alternatively, the invitation letter from the university may confirm that they regard your language skills sufficient for research and studies at a university in Finland.
Candidates eligible for the scholarship must be from: Australia, China, Cuba, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Mongolia; Namibia, Peru, Republic of Korea, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, USA.
Selection of scholarship holders
EDUFI will make the final selection of the scholarship holders. All applicants will receive a notification via email during June.
We also publish a list of the selected scholarship holders on our website.
If you have not received the acceptance letter from EDUFI during June, please let us know by email.
How to Apply for the Finnish Government Scholarship?
Candidates can apply for the fully funded Finnish Government Scholarship by downloading and completing the application form. Along with the application, the applicants must submit the following documentations:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copies of latest diplomas
- Two letters of recommendation from academic supervisors
- Further, study/research plan including a statement of motivation (2 – 5 pages)
- Motivation letter (Invitation and expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland)
- Also, language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English)
The applicants must submit the completed application form and the required documents to the relevant authority in the applicant’s home country.
Applicants can apply for the fully funded Finnish Government Scholarships until 15 February 2020. However, the application period differs among the applicant’s nations.