Applications are open for Fully Funded Hakuho Japanese Fellowship in Japan. With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into Japan and deepening understanding of Japan, the Hakuho Japanese Research Fellowship invites leading international researchers of the Japanese language. Further, Japanese language education, Japanese literature. Also, Japanese culture to Japan to conduct residential research.
fellows will have the following expenses necessary for conducting residential research in Japan covered.
- Airfares: Return economy class air tickets
- Note: Fellows who are already present in Japan prior to the beginning of the Fellowship period will not receive inbound tickets.
- Likewise, Fellows who remain in Japan after the end of the Fellowship period will not receive outbound tickets.
- Relocation allowance: 350,000 yen
- Living and research expenses: 350,000 yen per month
- Housing subsidy: Up to 150,000 yen per month （actual cost; subject to provision of receipts each month）International travelers’ illness and injury insurance
- In addition, the Hakuho Foundation will pay the receiving organization a hosting cooperation fee for use of facilities, etc.
Researchers working in the fields of the Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture who reside outside Japan and meet all of the criteria below:
- Affiliated with higher education or research institution (including postdoctoral scholars, adjunct professors, and part-time lecturers), or have equivalent research and educational background.
- Researchers with a doctoral degree (including degrees to be on or before December 2019) OR an equivalent level of research or education background.
- Sufficient Japanese language proficiency to be able to conduct research in Japanese.
- Non-Japanese national residing outside Japan or Japanese national who has resided outside Japan for 10 years. Also, more and been active in the academic community of the country of their residence.
- Able to stay continuously in Japan for the duration of the Fellowship period and participate in research reporting sessions arranged by the Foundation.
- Applications are not sought from those whose purpose is to write a doctoral thesis.
- As research reporting and communications with the Fellowship secretariat on various procedures will be conducted in Japanese only, a suitable level of Japanese language ability is required.
- Those who have previously received support for residential research in Japan may also apply.