The Jardine Foundation, established in 1982, marks the 150th anniversary of the Jardine Matheson Group. The Foundation offers qualified students from Asia full scholarships to study at Oxford as well as Cambridge Universities. The goal is to develop future leaders who will give back to the communities where the Group operates. Fully funded Jardine scholarship is available for courses at Oxford and Cambridge Universities, with undergraduate courses getting a strong preference at the following Colleges:
University of Cambridge – Downing, Magdalene, Peterhouse, Trinity
University of Oxford – Exeter, Oriel, The Queen’s, Trinity
In addition to scholarships for undergraduate studies, the Foundation also offers a limited number of scholarships for postgraduate studies. The Universities refer the potential candidates at Oxford and Cambridge Colleges who have already been accepted by the Universities.
Fully Funded Jardine Scholarship at Oxford & Cambridge
Each Jardine Scholarship awarded will generally be sufficient to cover fees, tuition, the cost of books and equipment, board and lodging (preferably on a living-in basis where this is available at the University). Further, the students will receive reasonable living expenses and travel expenses to and from the University at the beginning and at the end of the course for which the Scholarship is awarded.
Moreover, the Fully Funded Jardine Scholarship at Oxford & Cambridge will include :
- university tuition fees payable directly to the University;
- college fees excluding board and lodging payable directly to the College;
- Further, an annual stipend to cover board and lodging and all other incidental expenses (subject to the discretion of the Trustees. This will be payable in four installments. The first installment will be larger to cover initial costs);
- Also, the cost of the UK Immigration Health Surcharge; and
- a standard economy class airfare to be reimbursed at cost to the Scholar from the place of residence to the United Kingdom at the beginning of the Scholarship as well as for the return journey to the place of residence on completion of the Scholarship period.
Read also: Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2020 for International Students (Fully Funded)
Eligibility for the fully funded Jardine Scholarship at Oxford and Cambridge
Applicants must normally be within seven years of having completed their secondary school education at the date of entry to any one of the Oxford and Cambridge Colleges
- have reached an academic standard to qualify for entry to anyone of such Colleges or Universities.
- be resident in any of the countries in which Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited or its subsidiaries operate or have significant business interests. These include Cambodia; mainland China; Hong Kong: Indonesia; Malaysia; Myanmar; the Philippines: Singapore; Taiwan; Thailand and Vietnam.
- Generally, applicants whose parents have not resided in the relevant country for at least seven years prior to the proposed date of entry to University are ineligible for the scholarship.
- Also, the applicants should be in a satisfactory state of health.
The Scholarship Committee of the Jardine Scholarship at Oxford & Cambridge will take into account not only academic achievement but also:
- personal qualities and character to which the applicant has demonstrated exceptional qualities of leadership and fellowship;
- achievements in non-curricular activities, including sports;
- community involvement and activities; and
- other attributes which, in the opinion of the Scholarship Committee, indicate that the applicants are likely to become an outstanding citizen with a high commitment to the performance of public duties and/or community involvement.
Read Also: Fully Funded Cambridge International Scholarship 2020
How to apply for the Jardine Scholarship?
In order to apply for the fully funded Jardine Scholarship at the Oxford and Cambridge Universities, the applicants have to submit the online application. In addition to the application form, the candidates must also submit:
- A personal statement describing the applicant’s objectives, aspirations, plans after graduation as well as particulars of extra-curricular activities, including sports, and their level of community involvement;
- A recent passport-size photograph;
- A copy of the completed UCAS application form; and
- Certified copies of GCSE, A/AS Level, and IB transcripts, or of equivalent qualifications subject to the examination system of the relevant country or territory as and when available. These include, but are not limited to, HKDSE certificates, SPM or STPM certificates, and SKHU certificates.
- A testimonial signed by the school principal setting out:
- The applicant’s achieved and/or predicted academic results;
- Remarks which will assist the Scholarship Committee in its assessment; and
- Also, any other relevant information for the application.
Whilst the preliminary evaluation of each application will be based on the details submitted by applicants, shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of our interview process in Hong Kong. Applicants who cannot attend the final interview in Hong Kong will not be considered
The Jardine Foundation accepts the application for the fully funded Scholarship at Oxford and Cambridge Universities until 8 pm Hong Kong time, 31 October 2019. Applications arriving after the deadline are ineligible for scholarships.