Applications are open for the MJ Bear Fellowship 2019. The MJ Bear Fellowship identifies and supports digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of digital news. In 2019, ONA will select six fellows from around the world who are up-and-coming journalists and leading innovative digital journalism projects. Further, The one-year fellowship is designed to provide support and guidance to early-career journalists on a digital journalism project as well as their own professional development. Further, Projects might include a unique way of looking at news coverage, creative data visualizations, intrapreneurial or entrepreneurial efforts, new efforts in video, or other digitally-focused approaches to news coverage.
- Speaking opportunity at ONA’s annual conference: Fellows earn recognition at digital journalism’s largest event and participate in a panel discussion to share their work. Also, The fellowship covers registration, travel, and accommodations for ONA19, Sept. 12–14, in New Orleans.
- Three tailored coaching sessions: Based on the projects that fellows are working on and the skills they are looking to build, ONA works with industry leaders to design custom coaching sessions for the group. Further, Past sessions have covered topics such as pitching projects, stories and oneself; career advancement in a changing world; also, audience engagement; marketing and entrepreneurship.
- ONA membership: with three year’s dues paid in full.
- Additional opportunities to showcase work and expertise: During their fellowship year, fellows share insights from their projects and career journeys on ONA’s website. Further, These insights become evergreen resources for the digital journalism community.
- Open to working journalists under 30 who are leading a digital journalism project;
- Applicants in 2019 must be born between Sept. 15, 1989, and Sept. 14, 1996;
- Applicants can be working either for a company or organization or be self-employed;
- Further, ONA encourages freelancers and journalists from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Full-time students are not eligible for this fellowship.
To apply, you will require to have the following ready:
- Your resumé / CV
- A photo of yourself
- Also, link to the project that you’d like us to consider that is ongoing or started after January 1, 2018
- A recommendation letter from an employer, instructor or technology partner who is not a personal friend or family member