The Asian Peacebuilders Scholarship (APS) is a shared initiative of The Nippon Foundation, the University for Peace (UPEACE), and Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU). Further, The objective of the programme is to train young Asian professionals to become peace building practitioners, ready to take up leading positions in organizations across the globe. In particular, the programme serves to strengthen the representation of Asian professionals with expertise in Asian issues.
The programme offers intensive, specialized language training to facilitate the participation of professionals with lower levels of English proficiency, thus allowing them to study in both Costa Rica and the Philippines. Additionally, Scholars obtain a Master of Arts Degree from the University for Peace (UPEACE) in an area related to peacebuilding also, a Master of Science Degree in Social Development from Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU).
- Students selected to participate in the APS programme receive a full scholarship that covers tuition, airfare, transit and also, some visa costs for all programme components, and a monthly stipend. Further, The programme facilitates up to 30 students per cohort.
Applications are from students all over Asia, with preference to students who:
- Have at least 2 years of work experience in a relevant field. Excellent candidates with less work experience are considered for participation on a case-by-case basis. Further, Voluntary work, internships, and student activities may be considered as work experience, if relevant for the programme
- Have a Bachelor’s degree from a reputable institution
- Likewise, demonstrate a compelling desire to work on issues related to peace and conflict
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning in an international and multi-cultural environment
- Further, are from countries where English is not widely spoken, particularly, but not limited to, Japan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines.
Required Supporting Documents:
- English-language Proficiency Test Scores Report
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Likewise, Official Undergraduate Transcripts and Copy of Diploma (Master’s/Ph.D./Doctoral degree/Study Abroad experience: transcript issued by the University where the applicant participated as exchange/study abroad student – if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Copy of Passport
- Passport-size photo
Should get admission, the following documents must be in official hard copy upon confirmation :
- English-language Proficiency Test Scores Report (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Official Undergraduate Transcripts and Copy of Diploma (Master’s/Ph.D./Doctoral degree/Study Abroad experience: transcript issued by the University where the applicant participated as exchange/study abroad student – if applicable)
- Ten passport-size photos