The National Institute of Genetics NIG invites application for postdoctoral fellowships in Japan. Moreover, NIG employs young promising researchers as NIG postdoctoral research fellows and involve them in research activities at the Institute for a limited amount of time. It aims at further development of research at NIG and fostering researchers with excellent research ability.
Furthermore, the NIG is committed to supporting researchers and students from abroad so that they can thrive at our institute and in Mishima. Moreover, International members can receive assistance inform of scholarships and fellowships from the National Institute of Genetics Internationalization Promotion Committee with their initial move to Japan and throughout their stay at NIG/SOKENDAI.
To apply for the National Institute of Genetics Fellowships, applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Those who have obtained PhD degree (or equivalent) or are expected to obtain it. Applicants must obtain the degree before the date of arrival at the post.
- Likewise, Those who have sufficient research skills to pursue research projects of genetics.
- Further, applications by those who have been enrolled in NIG in the past as of the end of the previous FY of the year in which the public invitation was started are not eligible to apply. A current/former postdoc, technical staff at NIG or graduate student (at Dept. of Genetics, SOKENDAI) cannot apply. Temporal visits, such as internship, do not count.
Salary and Treatment
Annual salary approx. 4,100,000JPY including tax is payable to the applicant. Commuting allowance (conditional), MEXT mutual society of health insurance, compensation insurance, and employment insurance will be covered.
Period of Employment
- Period of employment is up to 3 years from the initial date of hire with reappointment on an annual basis.
- Start date (the day start working at NIG) is April 1st, 2020. However, the applicant may change it to any date between November 1st, 2019 and October 1st, 2020, if s/he requests it.
- When the fellowship is suspended due to childcare, nursing or sick leave (limited to cases of absence) under the approval of the President of ROIS or the Director-General of NIG, the employment period may be extended corresponding to the duration of the period of absence. If there are special circumstances other than those mentioned above, they will be discussed and determined by the Committee.
Successful candidates will be employed as project researchers (Discretionary working hour system is applicable.) They are eligible to apply for competitive funds called the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI).
Applicants must submit pdf files containing following documents after consulting with your prospective PI about your research project.
- Curriculum Vitae, Name of Prospective Laboratory, Desired Starting Date
- Likewise, Summary of Past Research (1 page)
- Also, List of Publications, Presentations, and Achievements (no page limit)
- Research Plan at NIG (5 pages in total)
- Purpose including its background：1 page
- Research Outline：2 pages
- Features and Creative Ideas：1 page
- Annual Plan for 3 years：1 page
- Further, Reference from Supervisor
- Finally, Reference from Host PI
Eligible candidates must send their application for National Institute of Genetics Fellowships before noon (JST) on Wednesday, July 10th, 2019.