Applications call for IBM PhD Fellowship Award Program 2021. Since the creation of the IBM PhD Fellowship Program in 1951; thousands of PhD students have received support under this scehme. Moreover, the program aims to increase the number of under-represented minority students in the referenced science topics of interest by encouraging a diverse applicant pool.
IBM encourages strong collaboration with faculty, students, and universities. Also, the IBM PhD Fellowship Program advances this collaboration by recognizing and supporting exceptional Ph.D. students who want to make their mark in promising and disruptive technologies.
Focus areas include the following topics of particular interest:
- Hybrid Cloud
- Quantum Computing / Quantum Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cloud / Open Source Technologies
- Security / Cyber Security
- Data Science
Funding and Benefits
- US country awards: $60,000 in award year one; $35,000 in award year two
- Other country awards: vary between $6,000-$25,000 each award year depending on country
All IBM PhD Fellowship awardees will receive mentorship from IBMer in order to collaborate on a research or technology project for the duration of the award period and are strongly encouraged to do an internship during the first or second year of their award.
- Students must be nominated by a doctoral faculty member and also must be a full-time student in a PhD program over the two consecutive academic years of the award or forfeit their fellowship.
- Students should have three years remaining in their graduate program at the time of nomination. For example, nominees undertaking four year graduate program should have completed two years of their graduate program as of summer 2021 in order to benefit the most.
- Students from US embargoed countries are not eligible for the program.
- Students receiving a comparable fellowship or internship from another company or institution (does not include academic scholarships) during the same IBM funded academic period may not be eligible for an IBM PhD Fellowship.
- IBM will select award recipients depending on their overall potential for research excellence, the degree to which their technical interests align with those of IBM, and their academic progress to – date, as evidenced by publications and endorsements from their faculty advisor and department head.
- The university credential email addresses must be in the nomination form.
Nominate your PhD student for an IBM PhD Fellowship Award