International Mathematical Union calls application for IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program 2021. The IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowships offers a limited number of grants for excellent students from developing countries.
Professional mathematicians are invited to nominate highly motivated and mathematically talented students from developing countries who plan to complete a doctoral degree in a developing country, including their own home country. Nominees must have a consistently good academic record and must be seriously interested in pursuing a career in research and teaching in mathematics.
Fellowship and Funding
IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship can cover the entire period of the doctoral program up to four years of the student (nominee). The following costs up to a maximum of USD 10.000 per year can be covered by the grant.
- Full tuition fee
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel expenses to the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses that will depend on the cost of the living of the country in which the student will study his/ her doctoral program
Nominator (Professional Mathematician)
- Professional mathematicians (including those who have superannuated, but continue to mentor young students). It is preferable that the nominator has been mentoring the nominee.
- The student must be A) resident AND B) a citizen of a developing country.
- The student must either: be pre-accepted to join a doctoral program in the first academic year after the time of selection in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country. OR already be enrolled in a doctoral program in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country
- There is no age limit for the student.
Nomination for women students strongly encouraged.
For an overview of the nomination form, please download the nomination form here (pdf file). The complete application includes
- Statement from nominator
- Scanned copy of student (nominee) passport
- Official letter of pre-acceptance in the PhD Programme
- Budget of total expenses requested
- PhD Supervisor CV (up to 5 pages)
- Research Project
- Two (2) letters of recommendation – they must NOT be written by the nominator
- Transcripts of coursework (certified copies (e.g. stamped by the university)) of the student: BSc degree or equivalent and MSc degree or equivalent
- Nominee CV
- Nominee letter of motivation, research project and future plans of the student
- Nominator declaration
- PhD Supervisor declaration
- Nominee (student) declaration