Applications are open for New America National Fellows Program 2021. The Fellows Program aims to support National Fellows in three primary areas: provide funding to support talented individuals to pursue ambitious endeavors; build a community grounded in cohort gatherings that take place throughout the year; and provide access to platforms and partners that can support their work.
Stipends generally fall into the following levels: $15,000-$30,000. The mix of stipends offered in each class varies widely depending on the type of applicants we take on and the funding we procure for that year. There is no need for candidates to address stipends, budgets, etc. in their proposal—you should use the space in your “Statement of Interest” to pitch your idea.
- Open to journalists, scholars, filmmakers, and public policy analysts.
- They consider applications from those who may be based abroad for all or part of the year, and they accept applications from non-US citizens.
- Previous applicants who were not accepted for the program can apply again.
There are two phases to the selection process:
- PHASE 1: Application Due – Applications are due Monday, February 1, 2021, at 11:59 pm EST. All applications must be completed and submitted online here. The Fellows Program staff review all of the applications from February to April. This first review winnows the entire applicant pool down to between 40 and 50 finalists.
- PHASE 2: Finalist Interviews & Committee Review – All candidates will be made aware of the status of their application in May, and finalists will be asked to schedule interviews with the program staff at that time. Once fellowships determine finalists, they send all of the applications for review by the Selection Committee, which is comprised of New America’s President, Fellows Program staff, current and former New America National Fellows, and other issue experts in New America’s network. Applications are private—it ask anyone involved in the selection process not to share or discuss any of the candidates or materials with outsiders.
- FINAL SELECTION: New America expects to make the final selections in early July and will contact finalists about decisions at that time. The Class of 2022 National Fellows will be publicly announced when they begin their fellowships in September 2021.
New America National Fellows Program