The Next Einstein Forum (NEF) Ambassadors Programme
NEF Ambassadors are the NEF’s young science and technology champions, one from each African country. NEF Ambassadors, who are all under 42 years, drive the NEF’s local public engagement activities while growing their own careers through the NEF’s partnerships that offer opportunities for mentorship and collaborations with established researchers.
In particular, the NEF Ambassadors attend the biennial NEF Global Gatherings. The next NEF Global Gathering will be held in 26-28 March 2018 in Kigali, Rwanda.
Other Ambassador benefits include:
- Leading NEF Africa Science Week, with the support of NEF staff and resources.
- Ambassadors will receive significant exposure to the NEF readership community.
- Have the opportunity to network with other experts and NEF Ambassadors and NEF Fellows, as well as top scientists, social scientists and technology leaders from around the world.
- Have the opportunity to influence science, social science and technology policy through NEF articles and documents and share their own work.
- Get the chance to pitch their own projects and ideas to high profile NEF members and contribute to the establishment of a positive global view of science in Africa.
- 42 years of age or less as of 31.12.2017 (Born after 1 January 1975)
- Resident/citizen of an African country with a history of leadership and engagement in the residing community
- Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar – a PhD is not required
- Applicants are encouraged from all fields of science, including basic sciences, STEM, health and social science fields.
- Outstanding writing and keen critical thinking capabilities, and be comfortable working in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated passion for raising Africa’s profile in science and/or social science
- Having an active profile in the community of work/study and/or online including social media
- Able to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French.
The selection will be done by a panel of eminent scientists including members of the NEF Scientific Programme Committee (SPC).
The selection process will aim for the following:
- At least 40% of selected NEF Ambassadors are women
- At most one NEF Ambassador from each African country
The selection process will take into account the following criteria:
- (20%) Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar – a PhD is not required
- Outstanding academic qualifications, as measured by the standards of the particular academic discipline. Examples of notable achievements include:
- Publication record
- Prizes and other awards, such as especially distinguished fellowships or memberships in prestigious academic circles (for example, in high-ranking committees, bodies, academies, etc.)
- Independently raised funding from outside sources in a competitive process
- Number of patents
- The type and number of invited talks at international conferences
- (20%) Demonstrated passion for promoting the sciences, including science, technology, engineering, mathematics or social science in Africa
- (20%) Outstanding writing and keen critical thinking capabilities, and be comfortable working in a collaborative environment and the ability to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French
- (30%): You must have an active presence either on one of the social media channels or in a reputable organization in your community. This criteria involves having a strong audience and consistent engagement with your followers.
- (10%) Other distinctive characteristics
Official Link: http://nef.org/ambassadors/
Deadline: 3rd September 2017