Applications are open for OWSD PhD Fellowship Program 2021. The Fellowship is to women scientists from science- and technology-lagging countries (STLCs) to undertake PhD research in the natural, engineering and information technology sciences at a host institute in another developing country in the Global South.
The general purpose of the fellowship program is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries. The OWSD PhD Fellowship Program aims to
- Improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates from STLCs.
- Increase the scientific productivity and creativity of women scientists in STLCs.
- Also, empower a new generation of talented women to assume a leadership role in science and technology.
- Encourage women scientists to contribute to the sustainable development of their home countries.
- Furthermore, enable women scientists from the South to collaborate and network on a regional and international level.
The OWSD PhD Fellowship covers the following expenses
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country.
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship.
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period as well as visa expenses.
- Annual medical insurance contribution.
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis.
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute.
- OWSD fellowship is open only to female candidates.
- Candidates must confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after the completion of the fellowship.
- Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini (Kingdom of), Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Arab region: Djibouti, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Yemen
- Asia & the Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem Rep., Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay