Applications call for Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at San Diego State University. This Postdoctoral Researcher Position is available in the Sussman laboratory at San Diego State University Research Foundation. The Sussman laboratory at San Diego State University. The primary research project is focused upon the biological impact of vaping upon cardiopulmonary structure and function at the tissue and cellular levels.
Under general direction, the Postdoctoral Research Fellow designs and conducts highly specialized and advanced experiments using established scientific protocols and procedures to support research focused upon the biological impact of vaping upon cardiopulmonary structure and function at the tissue and cellular levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Research Design and Execution (80%)
- Design, organize and conduct highly specialized and advanced experiments using established scientific protocols and procedures.
- Design new research protocols for the lab.
- Summarize findings and publish results in research journals.
- Construct plasmid and viral gene vectors.
- Work with mRNA and DNA for analysis.
- Perform enzyme assays, transcriptomics, immunohistochemistry, confocal fluorescence microscopy, primary cell culture, microarray analyses, tissue histology, and preparation.
- Perform small animal surgery and follow appropriate protocol for handling and treatment of animals.
- Understand mouse genetics and perform basic lab skills (PCR, SDS/PAGE, immunoblotting, real-time PCR, fluorescence-based assays).
- Establish mouse in vivo pathological changes and manipulate different pathological conditions with pharmacological interventions.
- Analyze molecular signaling mechanisms contributing to cellular stress including but not limited to apoptosis and necrosis as well as reactive oxygen species.
Lab Leadership and Development (20%)
- Assume general responsibility for scientific operations of the laboratory.
- Provide supervision and guidance to junior technicians, students, and researchers.
- Enhance professional skills and research independence through mentored, advanced training.
In order to be eligible for the Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at San Diego State University, candidates must have the following qualifications
- Ph.D. or MD Ph.D. from a four-year college or university in a related field such as biology, medicine, or physiology.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: Immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, tissue culture, biochemistry, viral vector design, and amplification, in vivo surgical skills with mouse models, molecular biology, lung and/or heart-related research, or transcriptomics.
- Experience formulating experiments and analyze data in an independent manner.
- A co-author on at least two peer-reviewed research publications
- Experience with mouse or rat animal models.
- Experience using statistical and image analysis software.