The Royal Academy of Engineering calls application for Research Chairs and Senior Research Fellowships 2021. This scheme aims to strengthen the links between industry and academia by supporting exceptional academics in UK universities to undertake use-inspired research that meets the needs of the industrial partners. Awardees will have to
- Establish or enhance a world-leading engineering research group.
- Deliver ‘use-inspired’ research that meets the needs of their industrial partners.
- Disseminate the outcomes of their research for appropriate academic impact.
- Become a self-sustaining research group by the end of the award (by securing substantial external grant income: RCUK, EU, industry, charities, etc.)
Benefits and Funding
In this round, the Academy’s contribution will be capped at a maximum of £45k per annum which equates to a total of £225k over five years.
- The awardee will be provided with a mentor (a Fellow of the Academy) to provide independent expert advice and guidance on research-related matters throughout the duration of the award.
- Networking opportunities with and through the Academy’s Fellowship and events program.
- Training and additional funding opportunities provided by the Academy.
- The awardee can spend no more than 4 hours per week on teaching/administration duties enabling them to focus on delivering use-inspired research, that creates impact for their industrial sponsor.
- Research Chairs and Senior Research Fellowships 2021 awards can only be held at UK universities.
- All such awards made in this round must start on 1 September 2021.
- Research Chairs are professorial appointments, so applicants should already be a professor or equivalent.
- Senior Research Fellowships are senior academic appointments, so applicants should already be a Reader or Lecturer level or equivalent.