The University of Massachusetts calls application for Research Physical Therapist Fellowship. This is a Physical Therapist fellowship with multidisciplinary collaboration, clinical trial/research involvement and mentored experiences across clinical practice settings. Under the direction of the Program Director or designee, the Research PT Fellow provides evaluation, treatment, and care to children and young adults with neuromuscular disorders (primarily Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy) in an interdisciplinary patient-centered specialty clinic focused on coordinated care, clinical research, and clinical trials for the patients.
Candidates should be skilled in communication and collaboration with children, families, and providers of various clinical backgrounds and motivated to develop expertise in the management of neuromuscular disorders in an interdisciplinary setting.
- Provide complete evaluation and standardized motor assessments in a multidisciplinary clinic setting. Work with a collaborative team to manage care for patients locally and throughout the country.
- Recommend treatments, interventions, and equipment to patients. Coordinate these recommendations with the patients and their providers.
- Process: Responsible for clinical documentation, billing and charge information and any patient related follow up, correspondence or other relevant communication.
- Collaborate with other members of the multi-disciplinary care team to identify the best plan for patients under treatment.
- Participate in conducting clinical trials as a clinical evaluator and collecting patient data for the outcomes research.
- Ensure federal and hospital requirements for the conduct of clinical trials are met and participate in the regulatory aspects of the research protocols as they relate to their specialty.
- Contribute to the education of residents, students and other trainees in the areas of specialty practice.
- Conduct staff training for equipment use and maintenance.
- Educate patients, parents, other caregivers /providers on treatment plans and recommendations.
- Review, prepare, complete, and submit required documentation and maintain confidential records.
- Demonstrate “the use of quality improvement in daily operations”.
- Attend a variety of meetings, conferences and seminars.
Candidates must have the following requirements for this Research Fellowship at the University of Massachusetts
- Doctor of Physical Therapy degree.
- 1-2 years’ experience in Physical Therapy. Recent graduates with relevant experience are also eligible.
- Experience with standardized outcome measures and exposure to patients with special health care need preferred.
- Ability to work with young children and young adults.
- Experience in mobility equipment and orthotics is preferred.
- Current license or eligible for a license to practice in Massachusetts.