Shuttleworth Foundation Fellowships 2022. The Shuttleworth Foundation offers fellowships to individuals to implement their innovative idea for social change. Fellowships are most interested in exceptional ideas at the intersection between technology, knowledge, and learning, with openness being the key requirement.
The Shuttleworth Foundation is a small social investor that provides funding to dynamic leaders who are at the forefront of social change. Shuttleworth Foundation looks for social innovators who are helping to change the world for the better and could benefit from a social investment model with a difference. The Foundation is at its core an experiment in open philanthropy and uses alternative funding methodologies and collaborative ways of working to ensure that every fellow receives the necessary support to succeed.
Our ideal future is one where it is much easier to find solutions to social challenges in a global open knowledge society with unhindered access to essential information and limitless opportunities for innovation and replication. Knowledge is open if it is free to use, reuse and redistribute without legal, social or technological restriction. In this sense, an open knowledge society is one in which a superset of open data, open content, open access and open source is available to all.
The Foundation is committed to openness, integrity, commitment, accountability, and respect for others, and expects the same from all partners.
- Open Practice: Openness is vital for ideas to become stronger and spread through replication. It shortens the feedback cycle, enables many test implementations and creates opportunities beyond what we could even imagine. That is why we insist upon open communications, open reporting, open source software, open resources and open licences.
- Open communication: The Foundation funds all over the world. We need regular, open and honest communication to; learn, be accountable, report to our stakeholders and ensure contractual compliance.
- Open reporting: As a privately funded Purpose Trust, the Foundation is not legally bound to disclose its financial or impact reports. However, since 2004 the Foundation has demonstrated its commitment to speak openly and transparently about its workings by publishing audited financial statements, including reports on all investments in Fellows and their projects.
- Open source software: The Foundation subscribes to the ethos embodied in free and open source software – collaboration and the freedom to use, adapt and share resources. It apply the free and open source philosophy as the underlying principle to our work. It uses open licences to allow learning and resources to be used, adapted and shared widely. It gives preference to the use of free and open source software in our own initiatives and require partners to do the same.
- Open resources: The Foundation is committed to opening knowledge resources. By knowledge resources, we mean software, designs, project reports, manuals, research results and other intellectual creations. Knowledge resources are open when they are available for revision, translation, improvement and sharing under open licences, open standards and in open formats, free of technical protection measures. In order to do this, all knowledge resources must have clear ownership.
- Shuttleworth Foundation Fellowships consist of anyone from college drop-outs to doctors (academic and clinical), students to professors, enthusiastic upstarts and seasoned veterans.
- They come from all over and work where they can make the most difference.
- The profile they share is one of openness, commitment, and bravery.
OYA Opportunities is in Telegram too. Catch us here.