2021 Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers applications are now open
A series of three-month intensive writing fellowships, the goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging voices in feminist media. All fellows will work under the guidance of Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Who can apply?
The Bitch Media Fellowships were created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. Bitch Media strongly calls application from a writer who has minimal publication experience and is passionate about one of the above subject areas but does not have a history of writing or blogging. Similarly, the Bitch Media encourages application from a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess them.
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during their fellowship period
During the 3-month Bitch Media Fellowships, fellows will
- Produce a minimum of four online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, and even infographic.
- Produce at least one long-form article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: A Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in regular discussions (by Zoom) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and online pieces.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
Candidates must read the Fellowship FAQ before applying. Moreover, the following materials are necessary for application
- A cover letter of no more than 600 words that describes your interest in the fellowship area of your choice.
- What are the topics you’re passionate about?
- What are the facets and angles of this subject that you think are underreported and under-discussed elsewhere in the media?
- What unique experiences and perspectives will you bring to the topic?
- A CV (no more than 2 pages) that includes a list of any previous publications, if applicable. (You can still apply to a Bitch Media Writing Fellowship even if you don’t have any clips or prior publications).
- Three (3) relevant writing samples.
- Short answer questions to help Bitch get to know you.