The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers more than $2 million dollars in University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships each year to full-time graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D.) to recognize academic excellence. Students who demonstrate their superior intellectual ability and academic accomplishment will obtain the graduate fellowships.
The Province of Manitoba through the office of the Minister of Education and Training supports the scholarship with annual funding of $2.1 million. As part of its commitment to providing new post-secondary education, the University of Manitoba is using the funds to ensure that Manitoba’s best students continued their education at home, to foster research that led to economic growth, and to attract excellent Master’s students to study in Manitoba.
Value and Duration of University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
- UMGF Master’s awards valued at $14,000 per year for 12 or 24 months, up to a total of $28,000.
- UMGF Doctoral awards valued at $18,000 per year for 12, 24, 36 or 48 months, up to a total of $72,000.
- MGS Master’s awards valued at $15,000 per year for 12 or 24 months, up to a total of $30,000.
- Effective 2018-2019, the Unit/Department or Faculty will determine the duration (in annual increments) of the
student’s UMGF at the time of recommendation
- Effective 2018-2019, the Unit/Department or Faculty will determine the start of the award (May, September or
January) at the time of recommendation
- The value and duration of your award will be adjusted to take into account a change in your registration status, e.g. early completion of your degree, termination of your graduate studies program, or other reasons.
- Master’s students – award holders should note that their fellowship will not extend beyond the first 28 months of their Master’s program
- Ph.D. students – award holders should note their fellowship will not extend beyond the first 52 months of their Ph.D. program.
- Total maximum UMGF/MGS support for any individual graduate student is five years (60 months) This applies to new UMGF/MGS award recipients beginning the 2019-2020 competition
- Departments/Units determine the value and duration of an award which must meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the eligibility table.
- Successful applicants in the current competition must take up their awards in May 2019, September 2019 or January 2020. Students who are unable to accept their award within this academic year must decline the award.
- Students must have a minimum admission GPA of 3.0 as an eligibility requirement. Please contact your Department as they may have a higher GPA requirement.
- Likewise, Have been admitted without provision or have cleared your provisional admission as a Master’s or Ph.D. student into a graduate program at the University of Manitoba
- Similarly, Be a full-time in a graduate program of study in the unit that recommends you for a UMGF
- Moreover, Accept the terms and conditions of the award, as set out in this guide and in the Notice of Award
- Further, Be members in good standing and adhere to the Rules/Principles within the university community as outlined in the “Student Discipline By-Law”
- In the same way, Acknowledge, wherever possible, the UMGF/MGS assistance for research
- Also, Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00 and not receive any grade below C+ in the current year
- However, Must not be full-time students in two programs simultaneously
- Finally, Apply for and accept (if offered) National Scholarships for which you are eligible, at every possible competition.
Application and Process
Please consult your Department/Unit for the application process and deadline. Once the Department/Unit determines their selection, students are recommended to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. FGS will notify the award recipients with an official letter via email.