Applications are now open for UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme 2019/2020. The Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme gives registered doctoral students the opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research on developing economies, and to work with their researchers in areas of mutual interest.
Visiting PhD fellows typically spend three consecutive months at WIDER before returning to their home institution. During their time in Helsinki, fellows prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. They may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their fellowship. The programme does not provide services or cover expenses related to dependents.
- Applicants must be enroll in a PhD programme and have shown the ability to conduct research on developing economies;
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute;
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills;
- Applications from suitably qualified early-career, female, and developing country researchers are particularly encourage;
- The programme is especially address at researchers at later stages of their PhD.
- As part of your application, you will be ask to upload your curriculum vitae.
- Your PhD supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be sent through email.The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a PhD programme at your university.
Please note we do not receive applications by email or post.