The International Federation of Red Cross calls application for Protection – Gender and Inclusion Internship in the Centurion, South Africa.
The Protection, Gender, and Inclusion (PGI) Intern will support IFRC Southern Africa Cluster Office and National Societies activities to develop PGI-related policies, strategies, and tools to contribute to the IFRC’s aim of ensuring dignity, access, participation and safety of all. The intern will also provide administrative and technical support to the Cluster Office Team and National Society PGI focal points in integrating and mainstreaming PGI analysis and considerations into all programs and services and ensure that the same are reflected in project work plans and reports.
- Support the Senior Officer: Community Engagement and Accountability & Protection, Gender and Inclusion PGI to increase capacities of PGI focal points in the National Societies to mainstream PGI considerations in their programs, prepare project work plans, coordinate project activities, document and share case studies and lessons learned and prepare reports.
- Similarly, support activities and processes to strengthen and institutionalize mainstreaming of PGI considerations in National Societies’ funding proposals work plans, activities, and reports in emergency and non-emergency responses.
- Support National Societies to collect and analyze sex, age, disability, and other vulnerability-disaggregated data.
- Support Disaster Management, Health and Livelihoods teams in the IFRC Southern Africa Cluster Office to apply the PGI minimum standards to population selection criteria in emergency responses and support monitoring of implementation.
- Disseminate approved key messages on the risk of violence, exclusion, and discrimination for specific vulnerable groups (older people, people at risk of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV), children, people with disabilities) and support National Societies to adapt and use them in their responses.
- Support capacity building in PGI for National Society Focal Points through identifying and sharing online training and capacity-strengthening opportunities.
- Support the collection; documentation; and sharing of good practices and lessons learned in mainstreaming PGI issues in emergency and non-emergency responses.
- Collect information from National Societies for the PGI in Africa monthly newsletter.
- Provide administrative support to PGI-related work.
Education and Experiences
- Relevant university degree or similar professional qualification (gender studies, anthropology, sociology, psychology, communication, political science, international relations, human rights, etc.).
- Successfully completed the IFRC Stay Safe e-learning course (basic).
- One year working or volunteering experience, even if in an unrelated field.
- Southern Africa contextual understanding and operational experience.
Skills and Knowledge
- Good knowledge of gender mainstreaming and analysis considerations in African contexts.
- Good communication skills and strong writing skills.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good stress management skills.
- Self-supporting in computers [Microsoft Office, database, e-mail (Outlook), etc].
- Fluently spoken and written English.