Apply for Vacancy for General Counsel at Southwestern Law School in the USA. The deadline for this job is 31st July 2021.
Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles seeks a General Counsel to join its highly collaborative senior leadership team. Founded in 1911, Southwestern is a private, stand-alone law school that is accredited by the American Bar Association’s Section on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar. Additionally, the General Counsel will report to the President & Dean and will serve as the school’s attorney and senior legal advisor. This position also oversees, coordinates, and supervises compliance activities.
- Represents the school as its attorney.
- Also, advises on proactive preventive measures and services to monitor and resolve disputes and circumvent litigation.
- Provides leadership, direction, and integration of compliance activities to fulfill the school’s needs and city, state and federal regulations.
- Moreover, maintains an appropriate framework of internal controls to monitor, protect, and evaluate the school’s legal interests and mitigate legal risks.
- Manages internal investigations and provides advice about grievances.
- With the President & Dean’s approval, outsources appropriate matters to law firms and collaborates and coordinates with those law firms in rendering legal services.
- Also, assists with the school’s responses to external requests for information, reporting, participation, complaints, subpoenas and citations from external governmental or non-governmental organizations.
- Develops and supervises the legal budget and reviews and approves bills for outsourced legal services.
- Reviews and provides legal advice regarding draft and existing contracts, policies, procedures, handbooks, and manuals.
- Negotiates, prepares, reviews, approves and interprets complex contracts and other legal instruments involving risks of significance to the school.
- Provides or arranges for training on legal and compliance matters for the Board, faculty, and staff.
- Moreover, provides updates on legal matters, issues, and trends to the senior administration and Board.
- Coordinates with risk management personnel regarding litigation and other matters that are potentially within the scope of coverage in the school’s insurance portfolio; reports possible claims and relevant factual situations to the appropriate insurance companies.
- Likewise, maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest developments in college and university law and related areas.
- Prepares routine, special and ancillary reports as required.
- Similarly, serves as a member of the President & Dean’s senior leadership team.
- Also, performs other duties as requested by the President & Dean.
Required Education, Experience, and Licensure
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Also, license to practice law in the State of California; no record of discipline in any jurisdiction.
- Additionally, at least 7 years of active practice experience.
- Moreover, must receive satisfactory results from a background check.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards; personal and professional integrity beyond reproach; unquestioned discretion in maintaining confidentiality.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; demonstrated record of working with diverse communities.
- Similarly, superior written and oral communications skills in public and private settings; ability to translate complex legal issues for lay and lawyer audiences.
- Excellent legal research skills.
- Additionally, working knowledge of tort, contract, real estate, privacy, and employment law.
- Expertise in or the capacity to quickly develop expertise in legal issues and areas relevant to higher and legal education.
- Knowledge of the California and Los Angeles legal environment.
- Furthermore, excellent problem-solving skills; solution-oriented and proactive.
- Rational and reasonable conflict-management and mediation skills.
- Also, ability to analyze situations and identify legal, compliance, and risk issues, propose alternative practical solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and recommend actions aligned with the school’s mission and goals.
- Committed to a Facilitator and not Bystander philosophy of legal and risk management.
- Likewise, extremely well organized.
- Ability to work in an environment that requires a collaborative working style, flexibility, adaptability, and patience.
- Also, ability to accept constructive criticism with grace, incorporate feedback, and listen actively.
- Ability to anticipate needs, set priorities, work independently and without daily supervision, and pivot successfully and appropriately while balancing competing priorities.
- Experience working in the legal department of an institution of higher education.
- Similarly, significant experience in employment law.
- Significant litigation experience.
- Likewise, training in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more job opportunities.