Apply for Vacancy for Security Consultant at SRSG in Senegal. The deadline for this job is 29th January 2021.
The consultant will provide in-depth technical, advisory and partnership-building support for the implementation of UNOWAS’ mandated activities on climate security and the mission’s new Climate Security Project. Also, the expectation is that during the second stage of the consultancy (from January 2021), constraints and restrictions relating to COVID-19 will be reduced in Senegal and throughout the region, allowing for physical consultations with key partners and in-country missions and assessments.
- Support UNOWAS in conducting a study on climate-related security risks in West Africa and the Sahel in partnership with partners from across and beyond the UN system.
- Also, examine current and planned climate change policies/strategies/action plans by governments in the region
- Similarly, suggest entry points, methodology and actions for integrating a conflict-sensitive approach to these documents.
- Likewise, take stock of and draw lessons from existing UN and non-UN partner programs and activities on climate security.
- Moreover, contribute to knowledge management activities of the CSM and the UN Community of Practice on Climate Security.
- Provide technical support to UNOWAS on the impact of climate change on security from a regional conflict prevention perspective and provide analytical inputs to regular UNOWAS reporting requirements.
- Also, contribute to the development of interdisciplinary training materials for UN and non-UN partners on climate-related security risk analysis and response in the region.
- Likewise, keep abreast of new thinking, research and innovations, while also capitalizing on local traditional knowledge, related to climate security. Similarly, synthesize and regularly exchange such information with UN and non-UN partners.
- At least 7 years of work experience related to climate change/environment, resilience, conflict prevention, peacebuilding or a combination of experience in this area;
- Also, experience working in a multicultural environment with respect for diversity;
- Additionally, at least 2 years of field experience;
- Similarly, strong understanding of global environmental and climate change policy and practice.
- Experience working in an international organization;
- Likewise, experience working in Africa.