Applications are open for the Brower Youth Awards 2022. The Earth Island Institute established the Brower Youth Awards for Environmental Leadership in 2000 to honor renowned environmental advocate David Brower, who said, “I love to see what young people can do, before someone old tells them it’s impossible.” It is with this spirit that they recognize the outstanding leadership efforts of young people who are working for the protection of our shared planet.
Brower Youth Awards
- Each of the six recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy Award-winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a weeklong trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
- During their stay in California, the recipients will participate in leadership activities and workshops on coaching, visioning, public speaking and developing media relations. The week of activities culminates in the awards ceremony. This program invests in the winners’ continued success by providing ongoing access to resources, mentors, and opportunities to develop leadership skills.
Eligibility for Brower Youth Awards
- Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 (as of May 14, 2022) living in North America (including Mexico, Canada, and some Caribbean Islands) and U.S. territories are encouraged to apply.
Assessment Criteria of Brower Youth Awards
Applicants are assessed on the following criteria:
- Firstly, Outstanding Youth Leadership: You played the major leadership role in creating, organizing and implementing your project or campaign(s).
- Secondly, Issue & Approach: Your project is applying fresh solutions and approaches to relevant environmental challenges.
- Thirdly, Project Impact, Scalability, & Replicability: Is the project’s impact significant? Can your work be used as a model for other communities or campuses?
- Lastly, Charisma, Personal Commitment, & Trajectory: What draws you to this work? What would winning a Brower Youth Award mean to you?
Application of Brower Youth Awards
You must complete your own application. Parents, friends, mentors, teachers, etc. must not complete it for you.
In addition to meeting award eligibility requirements and following all instructions to complete the online application, each applicant must submit:
- a photograph of yourself
- if you are a semifinalist, you will be asked for a letter of support from someone who is familiar with you and your environmental work (cannot be from a parent or guardian)
The application deadline for submission is Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.