Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) invites journalists from Jakarta, Indonesia to apply for a story grant to report on air pollution in the city!
EJN is offering story grants and mentorship to journalists in Jakarta to improve the quality and quantity of coverage of this issue, recognizing that mass media is critical in shaping public perceptions well as policies around air pollution.
- They expect to award up to 14 grants with an average budget of $1,000 each.
Eligibility for EJN Grants
- Journalists from Indonesia are eligible to apply. Those who participated in the Clean Air Catalyst media training workshop held in Jakarta, Indonesia in August 2022 will be given preference.
- Groups of journalists are eligible. However, the application must be made in the name of one lead applicant. Lead applicants are responsible for communicating with EJN and receiving funds on the group’s behalf, if awarded.
- For the purposes of this grant opportunity, they will be accepting applications in English and Bahasa Indonesia. Selected grantees can produce stories in English or Bahasa Indonesia.
- Applications are open to journalists working in any medium (online, print, television, radio) and other expert media practitioners with professional reporting experience. They welcome applications from early-career journalists and experienced reporters with a track record of covering air pollution. They encourage applications from freelance reporters and staff from all types of media organizations – international, national, local and community-based.
Judging Criteria for EJN Grants
Applicants should consider the following points when devising their story proposals.
- Relevance: Does the proposal meet the criteria and objectives of the call? Why does this story matter and to whom? Is the main idea, context and overall value to the target audience clearly defined?
- Angle: If the story has been covered, does your proposal bring new insights to the topic or offer a fresh angle?
- Impact: Does the proposal have a compelling narrative or investigative element that will inform and engage, draw attention, trigger debate and spur action?
- Innovative storytelling: The use of creative approaches, multimedia and data visualization will be considered a plus.
- Plan for timely publication: Reporters, whether freelance or employed at a media outlet, will need to include a letter of support from an editor in their application, committing to publish the stories by the end of November.
Application of EJN Grants
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Kindly consider submitting at least one day in advance of the deadline to avoid any issues.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.