Earth Journalism Network is pleased to invite journalists from Mekong countries to join a media workshop on water governance. Selected journalists will receive reporting grants to produce in-depth stories that will call attention to Mekong water governance from a gender and social inclusion perspective.
Considering the increasing vulnerabilities experienced by women and other marginalized groups, such as youth and the poor as a result of Mekong water governance issues, Internews Europe (Internews) with funding from Oxfam has launched a project entitled “Reporting on the Mekong water governance from a gender and social inclusive lens” which aims to strengthen women’s and marginalized people’s voices in media reports on water governance in the Mekong River basin.
The project is comprised of two main activities:
- A three-day media workshop to introduce participants to the overall concept of gender and social inclusion and how to integrate it into reporting on Mekong water governance.
- A story grant and mentorship program, to produce stories that amplify the voices of women and marginalized groups, under the support of mentors who are experienced journalists.
Fifteen journalists will be selected for this program. The workshop will be held in Udonthani province, Northeast of Thailand, tentatively on 14-16 September 2022 with a one-day field. Trip on 15 September in Sangkhom District, Nong Khai province.
After the journalists have completed the workshop, they will each receive a story grant of $1,200 to support the cost of story production, to report effectively and inclusively on Mekong water governance.
Eligibility for EJN Media Workshop
- Open to journalists from print, online, radio and television outlets. Freelance reporters and staff reporters from international, national, local or community-based outlets are eligible.
- Applicant must be from and currently based in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand or Vietnam.
- Must commit to attend all days of the workshop, to produce and publish at least one long-form story by January 31, 2023.
- Have experience reporting on environmental topics. Water and/or gender issues are preferred.
- Understand and be able to communicate in English (workshop sessions will be held in English).
- They especially encourage women, indigenous, individuals with disabilities, gender non-conforming peoples and mid-career journalists to apply.
Application of EJN Media Workshop
- Applicants must provide a letter of support from their editor or media outlet, stating that they will provide support in editing and in the production of data visualization i.e., infographics, photographs, etc, with a commitment to publish or broadcast the story by January 31, 2023.
- Applicants must submit two recent published long-form/investigative samples or links to stories that have appeared online. Stories related to water issues, gender issues, and/or Mekong transboundary issues are preferred.
The application deadline is August 14, 2022. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.