Applications are open for the Hack The Mara Hackathon 2022. In this competition, you are invited to submit proposals for a DeFi application that can serve as a payment system for the Maasai Mara tourism sector.
The top 8 proposals will be invited to a physical hackathon in the Maasai Mara, Kenya, and the overall winners will receive prizes, as well as access to funding, startup accelerator programmes, mentorship and other resources to build out their solution.
What To Build
Decentralized Finance (DeFi) applications are built on top of blockchain platforms, and aim to provide financial services that are typically provided by centralised institutions such as banks, lenders, or insurance companies. You should build applications that ensure parties in the Maasai Mara ecosystem can have visibility into the disbursement process and ensure the intended beneficiaries are credited.
Your solution should be able to serve anyone, anywhere, no matter how remote. This includes serving areas of low internet penetration and low smartphone adoption. The solution must:
- Offer transparency to all relevant stakeholders
- Use low-tech payment confirmation technology like USSD, MPESA and Identity
- Must adhere to best practices including KYC/AML policies
- Use the blockchain of your choice
Prizes for Hack The Mara Hackathon
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners stand a chance to win both cash and in-kind prizes.
- $100,000 in prizes (cash in USDC, and in-kind).
- Acceptance into Antler’s Nairobi incubation program.
- Access to follow-up funding from Mara and partners.
- Mentorship from Mara and partners.
Other benefits include:
- Developer Badges for everyone that completes a successfully submitted app or web service
- Access to partner companies looking to hire developers
- Access to partner companies with project managers with experience building or managing blockchain applications.
Eligibility for Hack The Mara Hackathon
- Interested members of the public who are resident on the African continent are invited to apply to join the Hackathon.
- Individuals who apply must be older than 16 years, and must have the required skills and permission to participate.
- Shortlisted teams would be required to travel down to the Ishara Mara in Kenya, to participate in the one-week physical hackathon.
- All Submission materials must be in English or, if not in English, the Entrant must provide an English translation of the demonstration video, text description, and testing instructions as well as all other materials submitted.
Judging Criteria of Hack The Mara Hackathon
- Originality – 20 %
- Innovation – 25 %
- Analytical Skills – 10 %
- Strategic Thinking – 15 %
- Practical Implementation – 30 %
Application of Hack The Mara Hackathon
The first four stages must all be completed before August 5 for your team to be eligible for the fifth and final stage to be held in the Mara.
- Stage 1: Join the Mara Discord and Telegram channels to start engaging with fellow builders and creators.
- Stage 2: Register the team on Zindi. Participation in the hackathon is dependent on completing Stage 1. Only registered members of Discord & Telegram can participate in the hackathon. Each individual must fill out this Google Form to participate.
- Stage 3: Every team that has successfully registered will be required to take a short practical test on HackerRank for the first level of shortlisting.
- Stage 4: The shortlisted teams will be required to send in their ideas for the hackathon. This is a team effort and will ensure that the team discusses the hackathon and think of innovative solutions to be built during the hackathon. This is the second stage of shortlisting.
- Stage 5: After the second stage of shortlisting, the top 8 teams will be invited to come to Kenya for the hackathon. The invitation will be sent on August 15, 2022.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.